Assassination relics
10-28-2013, 04:35 PM
Assassination relics
I was looking at the Lincoln Presidential Library webpage and noted that (as expected) they have a tremendous amount of Lincoln artifacts, writings, and relics from the assassination (e.g., Lincoln's gloves worn to Ford's, Mary Lincoln's fan). The site says these items are available for researchers "by appointment" Here is the site: http://www2.illinois.gov/alplm/library/c...fault.aspx

I wonder if anyone here has ever seen these? It sounds fascinating and I wish that I lived closer. Dave, it really sounds like something you would enjoy for posting over on boothiebarn.com

Heath
Quote this message in a reply
10-28-2013, 04:40 PM
RE: Assassination relics
(10-28-2013 04:35 PM)Rhatkinson Wrote:  I was looking at the Lincoln Presidential Library webpage and noted that (as expected) they have a tremendous amount of Lincoln artifacts, writings, and relics from the assassination (e.g., Lincoln's gloves worn to Ford's, Mary Lincoln's fan). The site says these items are available for researchers "by appointment" Here is the site: http://www2.illinois.gov/alplm/library/c...fault.aspx

I wonder if anyone here has ever seen these? It sounds fascinating and I wish that I lived closer. Dave, it really sounds like something you would enjoy for posting over on boothiebarn.com

Heath

I believe that many (if not most) of the assassination relics came with the collection that ALPLM bought from Surratt Society member Louise Taper.
Find all posts by this user
10-28-2013, 04:51 PM
Heath, here is a short video about the gloves.
10-28-2013, 06:34 PM
(10-28-2013 04:40 PM)L Verge Wrote:  I believe that many (if not most) of the assassination relics came with the collection that ALPLM bought from Surratt Society member Louise Taper.

I believe Ms. Taper also had the most extensive collection of Booth family letters and artifacts also. Did the ALPM get those in the sale and are they (cringe) displayed there, too?

"There are few subjects that ignite more casual, uninformed bigotry and condescension from elites in this nation more than Dixie - Jonah Goldberg"
10-28-2013, 09:02 PM
I have never seen a complete listing of all the items in the Taper Collection that went to the ALPLM. I know some were donated and others were sold to the Foundation that supports it. While the collection is held in the museum, it is my understanding that it still belongs to the Foundation -- which seems to be having difficulty paying the $23 million price tag.

I also understand that there has been some lapse in leadership and that a new director of the museum was appointed last year. I heard that she has great credentials, but has never headed a museum before. I sure hope things are straightening out there. What a magnificent institution to have troubles. Let's just hope these are growing pains.

Perhaps some of our members who are close to Springfield know more about what is going on???
10-29-2013, 10:20 AM
I have been a Volunteer at ALPLM since 2004, when the Museum was still a building site. The Lincoln Collection, which has been building since the 1890's, contains items from chiefly three sources: former Illinois Governor Henry Horner, Robert Todd Lincoln Beckwith (Lincoln's great grandson, who died in 1985), and Louise Taper. Louise Taper sold the bulk of her collection, amounting to some 1500 items, to Illinois for $23 million. Included were the Lincoln top hat, very many other non-assassination Lincoln items, and some assassination relics. Illinois has Lincoln's bloody gloves, Mary's blood-stained fan, a piece of Laura Keene's dress with Lincoln's blood on it, one of the few remaining audience chairs from Ford's, Booth items, and more. These things are permanently kept in the the Library, across the street from the Museum, and periodically rotated for display in the Museum. The major item on display now is Illinois' copy of the Gettysburg Address. It will stay out for a while past November 19.

The arm of ALPLM which is charged with retiring the debt is the ALPLM Foundation, which must be making some headway, because we don't hear any more the threat that Illinois might lose these items. I seriously doubt that any of the Taper collection will ever leave Illinois.

The Museum was dedicated April 15, 2005. Even before that the Director of ALPLM was Richard Norton Smith. After he left, Director changed twice until now, when we have a marvelous lady at the helm. She has been a terrific administrator, but she has no Lincoln creds. Probably the most famous Lincoln scholar in Illinois was Thomas Schwartz, who left a while back to become head of the Herbert Hoover Museum, in Iowa.
10-29-2013, 10:49 AM
Thank you so much for the information from ALPLM. And, I apologize for making it seem like only the items from Louise comprise the entire collection.

As for the new director, I think it may be a very good thing for the museum that she has no Lincoln credentials and no experience running a museum. A person with a good business head would be welcome in many museums across the nation where the love of history can compete with the bottom line that is needed to keep the doors open - or can lead to infighting amongst staff as to whose interpretation of an event gets portrayed in the tours and the exhibits.
10-29-2013, 10:53 AM
David, thank you very much for your post! Tom Schwartz was a student in my history class in 1969, and we are still in touch occasionally.
10-29-2013, 11:14 AM (This post was last modified: 10-29-2013 11:21 AM by davg2000.)
(10-29-2013 10:53 AM)RJNorton Wrote:  David, thank you very much for your post! Tom Schwartz was a student in my history class in 1969, and we are still in touch occasionally.

Tom was a great head of ALPLM, very involved in its creation and, later, the acquisition of the Taper materials. Offically, he was Illinois State Historian. He was never named Director of ALPLM, after the successor to Richard Norton Smith left, but Tom was the man in charge. Illinois eventually went with Eileen Mackevich, who has been excellent.

Roger, I'm a former high school English and history teacher. How neat to say that you had Tom Schwartz in your class!

(10-29-2013 10:49 AM)L Verge Wrote:  Thank you so much for the information from ALPLM. And, I apologize for making it seem like only the items from Louise comprise the entire collection.

As for the new director, I think it may be a very good thing for the museum that she has no Lincoln credentials and no experience running a museum. A person with a good business head would be welcome in many museums across the nation where the love of history can compete with the bottom line that is needed to keep the doors open - or can lead to infighting amongst staff as to whose interpretation of an event gets portrayed in the tours and the exhibits.

Laurie, I believe that was one main reason for the hiring of Eileen Mackevich. After you are around her, you find that she is personable and able. Under her ALPLM has run smoothly. Others see her qualities and are moved to contribute.