The New York Crowd
10-03-2013, 12:53 AM
The New York Crowd
I have been trying to fill a file on "The New York Crowd", without much success. I have looked for 'people', and/or ideas about why 'they' wanted Lincoln dead, and why must it be QUICK.
There seems to be two ideas supporting the need for 'Quick'. One is the Death Rate, in the war. Those supporters wanted to stop the killing, pronto. The other group wanted the war TO CONTINUE. So that they may amass great wealth, by trading with the Confederates.
It does seem odd that first group would oppose the killing and then kill Lincoln.
Several Peace treaties were proposed, but each died young, because Lincoln insisted on the terms would include the abolishment of slavery and there would be no separate Confederate States of America. These two features were totally unacceptable to the South, thus the proposals made no headway. This approach was a long drawn out procedure, and this delay overrides the demand for QUICK. (The assassination of Lincoln would only lead to the preparation on another Treaty.)
Then there were the wealthy merchants, who most likely did not have their sons fighting on the front line, because they could afford to pay a substitute. The 'killing' then meant nothing to them. They supported such programs as "Bacon for Cotton" at 'pound for pound'. Cotton was penned up in Southern Ports by the blockade. This created a shortage throughout the world. Any one who had Cotton to sell, could name their own price - and get it. There were ways to get Cotton into the North legally, but Lincoln wanted to stop that trade.
Now that's a good cause for someone to want to get Lincoln QUICK.
This argument appears to point the finger at the Wealthy Merchants, who could easily pay for a substitute -for themselves- to be the assassin. This approach would identify the source of the money that Atzerodt, and the others, expected to 'pile-up.'
With very little effort, I can name names that qualify for a 'Wealthy Merchant' distinction - but no proof.
Therefore, I believe that the term "The New York Crowd" was an all-inclusive term used to mean the "Wealthy Merchants", without knowing any specific participant, or specific organization. Just a broad term to mean "Them".
P. S. I am still going to look for "Them", somewhere, but I have to believe that any individual who qualifies as a "Wealthy Merchant", was not Stupid. Thus, I do not expect that any of them ever added their name to a list of members, who were willing to pay for an assassination.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
10-03-2013, 05:15 AM
RE: The New York Crowd
Fascinating post, John. Here are a couple of quotes:

On September 20, 1864, Thurlow Weed wrote to William Seward that opposition against Lincoln "was equally formidable and vicious, embracing a larger number of leading men than I supposed possible."

At the 1864 Democratic National Convention Benjamin Allen, of New York, said, "The people will soon rise, and if they cannot put Lincoln out of power by the ballot they will by the bullet."

Certainly the evidence that Booth was meeting with Confederate operatives is indisputable. And I suppose there is pretty good evidence that he was also meeting with disaffected Northerners. Somewhere I read or heard that Judah Benjamin was working with these wealthy New York merchants whom John mentions above. So perhaps there were connections between the Confederates, the merchants, and "leading men" of the North.

Perhaps Booth embellished the role of other plotters when he talked to Atzerodt and Chester?

I must admit that I find all of this "hazy" in my brain, as I am one of those old fashioned people who grew up with the simple conspiracy theory that Booth essentially acted on his own along with a small band of coconspirators whose names we all know.

Is it not possible that Booth had meetings with all sorts of anti-Lincoln folks hoping to get money and support for his ideas, duping them into thinking he was working for them, and that what happened on April 14th was still Booth's plan and not someone else's? In other words could it be that the words "I am the boss" was in his brain all along despite what he might have told these other groups?
10-03-2013, 07:04 AM
Booth's statement that if he didn't get Lincoln quick "the New York crowd" would, has an air of competition in my mind. Although he made several trips north, I think the money trail shows that aside from what he got in Canada in Oct., 1864, he wasn't getting much support from anywhere else. He was basically broke by April.

"There are few subjects that ignite more casual, uninformed bigotry and condescension from elites in this nation more than Dixie - Jonah Goldberg"
10-03-2013, 08:21 AM
John,
I found the Union spy Dr. Merritt's testimony interesting;

About the middle of February, 1865 Sanders in a meeting of rebels in Montreal at which ten or fifteen persons were present, amongst whom were Sanders, Colonel Steele, Captain Scott, George Young, Byron Hill, Caldwell, Ford, Benedict, Kirk, and Merritt read a letter. Sanders said he had received the letter from "the President of our Confederacy" (Jefferson Davis). The substance of this letter was, that if the confederates in Canada and in the States were willing to submit to be governed by such a tyrant as Lincoln he did not wish to recognize them as friends and associates, and he expressed his approbation of any measures they might take to accomplish this object.

It is true Dr. Merritt did not see Davis's signature to the letter, and would not have known it had he seen it, but the letter was first read openly by Sanders, and then handed to the others, several of whom read it, and none questioned either its author or authenticity. Colonel Steele, Young, Hill, and Captain Scott read it, and no objection was raised. After reading this letter, Sanders went on to name a number of persons who were ready and willing, as he said, to engage in the undertaking to remove the President, Vice-President, the cabinet, and some of the leading generals, and said there was any amount of money to accomplish the purpose.
Amongst the persons whom he said thus stood ready to engage in this work, he named Booth, George Harper, Charles Caldwell, one Randall, and Harrison (by which name Surratt was known), and one or two others, one of whom they called "Plug Tobacco," or "Port Tobacco."
Sanders said that Booth was heart and soul in this project of assassination, and felt as much as any person could feel, for the reason that he was a cousin to Beall, who was hung in New York. He said that if they could dispose of Mr. Lincoln it would be an easy matter to dispose of Mr. Johnson; he was such a drunken sot it would be an easy matter to dispose of him in some of his drunken revelries.

On the 6th of April Dr. Merritt met George Harper, Caldwell, Randall, and others, who are spoken of in this meeting, at Montreal, as engaged to assassinate the President and Cabinet, when Harper said they were going to the States to make a row, such as had never been heard of, and added, that "if I did not hear of the death of Old Abe, of the Vice. President and of General Dix in less than ten days, I might put him down as a fool. That was on the 6th of April. He mentioned that Booth was in Washington at that time he said they had plenty of friends in Washington and that some fifteen or twenty were going.
10-03-2013, 08:22 AM
Excellent post. I have some new developments regarding the Branson's involvement which may support the wealthy merchants theory. This will be revealed in the 2nd edition of Alias....

To me, this may be a very good supposition. Remember that both JWB, Surratt and Powell went to both NY City and Canada.

"The Past is a foreign country...they do things differently there" - L. P. Hartley
10-03-2013, 09:10 AM
(10-03-2013 08:21 AM)JMadonna Wrote:  John,
I found the Union spy Dr. Merritt's testimony interesting;

That is very interesting and thanks. I've never seen that. I'm sure Booth was in very deep with the CSA and his intentions were well known, but it seems to me he was trying to beat the others to the punch and did so on his own accord. If he hadn't made an attempt it sounds like someone else may have, but his lack of funds tells me he was basically on his own by the spring of 1865.

"There are few subjects that ignite more casual, uninformed bigotry and condescension from elites in this nation more than Dixie - Jonah Goldberg"
10-03-2013, 10:44 AM (This post was last modified: 10-03-2013 11:24 AM by Gene C.)
I have a slight problem with this theory. By early 1865 it should be apparent to anyone in the know, (including Jefferson Davis and company) that the North is going to win the war. The Senate and House are more radical and vindictive where it comes to reconstruction than Lincoln is. With the assassination of Lincoln and any of his cabinet, the bitterness towards the south is only going to increase. The South has everything to loose if Lincoln is out of the picture, or were they to blinded by political hatred to see that? (that does happen)

As for the northern industrialist, they may not like Lincoln's economic policy, but the gov't didn't come close to controlling the economy like they do now. A lenient and generous policy toward north and south unification works to their best interest too. This sounds to much like the Ray Neff theories, take a little bit of fact, and blow it all out of proportion and context, add a little bit of fantasy and a whole lot of speculation. Stir it all up, and you have a made for TV movie or two, several books, some conspiracy theory web sites, and a few more headaches for Laurie. The tough part is sifting the fact from the speculation.

On the other hand......

So when is this "Old Enough To Know Better" supposed to kick in?
10-03-2013, 01:39 PM (This post was last modified: 10-03-2013 01:41 PM by JMadonna.)
(10-03-2013 10:44 AM)Gene C Wrote:  I have a slight problem with this theory. By early 1865 it should be apparent to anyone in the know, (including Jefferson Davis and company) that the North is going to win the war. The Senate and House are more radical and vindictive where it comes to reconstruction than Lincoln is. With the assassination of Lincoln and any of his cabinet, the bitterness towards the south is only going to increase. The South has everything to loose if Lincoln is out of the picture, or were they to blinded by political hatred to see that? (that does happen)

Bingo Gene,
Everyone did see the end coming but Jefferson Davis who was in complete denial. He wanted independence and nothing else. He would not listen nor compromise with anyone. He had an open contempt of Congress and became a one-man show. He used his friends in the media to attack anyone who wanted peace as 'croakers' and "whipped men"

He believed that Lincoln and the Republicans were standing in the way of his goal. Eliminate them and you have a chance for peace on your terms. Not a good chance but one he was willing to take.

BTW - any resemblance of Davis to our current president is not intentional.
10-03-2013, 01:54 PM
Thanks Jerrod, It makes much more sense when you unintentionally compare it to current day events

So when is this "Old Enough To Know Better" supposed to kick in?
10-03-2013, 11:38 PM
Thanks everybody. I think that each posting contributed something to this topic. I have not had time to read further on the references, but they are GOOD leads. Over the years, I have read some comments on this subject, but because I was just not interested, I never made notes. Now, I need to go back and find pertinent material. I will cite every quote that we use. For example: I recall reading that Jacob Thompson withdrew considerable funds and placed them with someone. (What a useless sentence!), to be paid to the assassin, when the job was completed. Perhaps, the Southern Government created a "competition", and was willing to pay the first party, who accomplishes the task. (To the Merchants, this could be ANOTHER source of income). I have a "Life of Jacob Thompson", I'll bet that is where I read about his "Fund". This is a thick volume, so that will take time. Right now, I am pressed for time. We have a sick Mama in the hospital, so I have little time for my hobby.
I agree with Roger's "hazy" brain situation. I also grew up wondering why anyone would want to shoot Lincoln. He was so perfect. I also agree with the April 14 execution was all Booth's plan. That was in the terms of the reward. However, this does not preclude other plans waiting in the wings.
Jerrod. I am always cautious when I read something that Sanders says. I do not neglect him, because sometime he does tell the truth. (As a sarcastic aside: what name was he using when he read the letter from Davis?) I will include this Crew, in future research. I wonder if Sanders really got a letter from Davis? I am not questioning you, only what you read - In mid Feb '65, I would guess that Booth was still thinking Abduction. Wasn't the plan to use Lincoln as a Pawn, to get the prisoners released? He'd be no good dead. Let me point out a contradiction that we all need to work on. If Sanders meeting was in mid-Feb, then Booth's thinking could not have included Beall's death - he wasn't hanged until 24 Feb. 1865.
Gene C. Hatred of Lincoln's Reconstruction Plans, is a third Plan that bears investigation in this study. That is sufficient reason for QUICK.
Please, everybody, contribute to this study. Don't let it become a "Neff Theory". If we can PROVE something - wonderful. If we can't - then so be it. But, I feel we are already doing a good job, even if it dies an unproven theory.
10-04-2013, 05:07 AM
(10-03-2013 07:04 AM)J. Beckert Wrote:  Although he made several trips north, I think the money trail shows that aside from what he got in Canada in Oct., 1864

Joe, are you referring to the $455 that was deposited in the Ontario Bank? I think when Washington police officer John Lee searched Atzerodt's room at the Kirkwood House Booth's bankbook with that amount was found. I wonder why Booth never used this money. Why was he keeping it in Canada? I am even more curious about the $1500 Booth deposited in the Jay Cooke Bank. Where did that come from? This deposit came only a few days after Booth met Dr. Mudd? Could Dr. Mudd have lent (given?) Booth $1500?
10-04-2013, 07:17 AM
Yes, but I think the tracking of Booth's funds shows that after 1864, he was on his own for the most part. He did borrow money from O'Laughlin or Arnold in 1865. Maybe that was for convenience sake as he had the money in Canada? Even if that is so, $455 isn't a lot of money.

10-04-2013, 07:21 AM
Money was worth a whole lot more in 1865. According to an online money converter: http://www.davemanuel.com/inflation-calculator.php

$455 of 1865 dollars would be worth: $6,500.00 in 2013 -

Powell reportedly had $25.00 cash on him when he was captured at Mrs. Surratt's, which would have been worth: $357.14 in 2013 - quite a bit of money for a 20 year old to be hauling around - and more than enough to purchase clothing and a train ticket out of DC had he escaped the authorities.

"The Past is a foreign country...they do things differently there" - L. P. Hartley
10-04-2013, 07:56 AM
(10-04-2013 07:21 AM)BettyO Wrote:  Money was worth a whole lot more in 1865. According to an online money converter: http://www.davemanuel.com/inflation-calculator.php

$455 of 1865 dollars would be worth: $6,500.00 in 2013 -

Could the fact that Booth left $455 untouched in Canada suggest maybe escaping north, not south, was a possibility for Booth?
10-04-2013, 08:12 AM (This post was last modified: 10-04-2013 08:22 AM by JMadonna.)
On December 3, 1864, Jacob Thompson wrote Judah P. Benjamin in which he laid out his failed efforts to spread terror in New York and elsewhere. It’s a remarkable document in that it names individuals involved in a terrorist plot sponsored by government.
One line that stood out for me was;

.…… I infer from your Personal in the New York News that it is your wish I should remain here for the present and I shall obey your orders. Indeed I have so many papers in my possession, which in the hands of the enemy would utterly ruin and destroy many of the prominent men in the North. That a due sense of my obligations to them will force on me the extremist caution in my movements.

IMO those papers were how Thompson was able to keep all the money from the Secret Service fund when he fled to Europe AND able to return a rich man. They were the equivalent of J. Edgar Hoover's secret files in the 20th century. I'd be interested in anything you can turn up on them and Thompson.

Secondly, I agree that the letter that Merritt reports could well be a canard by the cunning Sanders. However, it is important to remember that the Union believed Merritt's story, so consequent actions they took were based on that report. Many of the names on his list were arrested after the assassination.
You are correct that Beall was hung at the end of February, but he had already become a martyr for the cause with his trial, conviction and pending execution.

(10-04-2013 07:56 AM)RJNorton Wrote:  Could the fact that Booth left $455 untouched in Canada suggest maybe escaping north, not south, was a possibility for Booth?

Union spies reported that Thompson informed all the agents he sent South that after the deed was done if they made it to Canada they would be promoted, rewarded and protected.