Lincoln's Funeral Train Plot-Foiled
07-05-2012, 03:08 PM
Lincoln's Funeral Train Plot-Foiled
I recently discoverd that the Confederates planned to Blow Up Lincoln's Funeral Train in"Corbetts Glen" as it went over a tressel about 3am coming into Rochester,NY.Luckily the Military got wind of it and it Never happened!
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
07-06-2012, 07:25 AM
RE: Lincoln's Funeral Train Plot-Foiled
Herb, please share your information on this event. Sounds interesting.
07-06-2012, 07:42 AM
Rich,My information comes from the Town of Brighton,NY Historian.
07-09-2012, 04:00 PM
Today I walked into Corbetts Glen to actually see and feel what the Sabbotage spot was like.First,the Confederates picked the ideal place.It is heavily wooded and waterfalls running under the railroad bridge.Everything was set to sabbotage Lincoln's Funeral Train around 3am in misty,cold,rain.Thankgoodness that the soldiers foiled that sabbotage plot!
07-09-2012, 09:25 PM
(07-09-2012 04:00 PM)HerbS Wrote:  Today I walked into Corbetts Glen to actually see and feel what the Sabbotage spot was like.First,the Confederates picked the ideal place.It is heavily wooded and waterfalls running under the railroad bridge.Everything was set to sabbotage Lincoln's Funeral Train around 3am in misty,cold,rain.Thankgoodness that the soldiers foiled that sabbotage plot!

Facinating! Thanks so very much for this information - this is the first that I have ever heard of this. One hears of the robbers breaking into Lincoln's tomb quite a bit - but this is a first....

Thanks again!

"The Past is a foreign country...they do things differently there" - L. P. Hartley
07-10-2012, 08:41 AM
Betty,I got this information from the Brighton Town Historian through a friend.She asked,"how did this get out"? Corbetts Glen is a nature park and the town is very affluent.They would prefer to keep it a secret,because they feel that it puts a"Black Mark"on their town history.Canandaigua,NY feels the same way about John Surratt hiding there for 2 days after the Assassination.Rochester,NY is often called"Smugtown USA".
07-10-2012, 11:27 AM
I had a relative that lived in Rochester
Very nice city IMO
Check out The George Eastman House, he was the founder of Kodak
And there is the Strong Museum, which houses an incredible collection of Americana. They have from the 1840 presidential campaign an original 'Booz' bottle.
What is that, you ask??
It was a whiskey bottle manufacured by a fellow named John Booz.
And that is where we got the well known word for alcohol, BOOZE!!
Cool
07-10-2012, 11:45 AM
Thanks for information.The Eastman House is a Tremendous resource,especially in their Archives!
07-21-2012, 11:25 AM
Never heard of the funeral train plot. Very interesting indeed. Maybe stupid to ask-but what do you suppose the plotters specifically wanted to achieve? Was there some monetary gain, perhaps? Or was it simply an act of terrorism? One wonders. Maybe there is no accounting for such things at times.

Bill Nash
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
07-21-2012, 01:12 PM
Bill,The town Historian asked me,"Who let that story out-It was to be kept secret"? I think that plot was for Terrorism.I am now finding out that there were many Copperheads around here at that time!
07-22-2012, 05:28 PM
Any idea how the soldiers foiled the plot?

Bill Nash
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
07-22-2012, 06:33 PM (This post was last modified: 07-22-2012 07:02 PM by HerbS.)
No Ideas at all-Other than they were there!

Bill-The town it was plotted in,Brighton is wealthy and they don't want to blemish their History! It is like Canandaigua,NY-they do not want it let out, that I found out that, John Surratt stayed there for 2 days on his way to Montreal.
07-24-2012, 05:03 AM (This post was last modified: 07-24-2012 05:36 AM by RJNorton.)
Hi Herb. I am going to write forum member Scott Trostel about this and see if he knows anything. Herb, he's the author of The Lincoln Funeral Train - The Final Journey and National Funeral for Abraham Lincoln.

If Scott knows anything look for a reply in this thread. Unfortunately Scott's home suffered damage in the storms a few weeks ago, and he may still be preoccupied with that.
07-24-2012, 08:15 AM
I'm Not aware of such a plot. There was plenty of trackside security en route in the form of boots on the ground and all places such as bridges, tunnels and close-by structures were inspected and secured from access prior to the train's passage. Some routes along the funeral train's path were avoided just to minimize temptation of a plot to get the train. Trackside witnesses were gathering at trackside as much as 18 hours in advance of the train's passage and it would have difficult to have gone up the track to plant a "bomb" without being seen.
If someone can provide some evidence of this plot, I would be interested in reviewing it. There are many, many legends floating around about the train, most have no basis. I have piles of "legends" that the train made an overnight stop at some remote town 50 miles or more off the actual route, or that many locals were suddenly put on the train out in the middle of no where and allowed to ride all night, again, local legend. I have also run across more likely legends with the inaugural train.

Scott Trostel
07-24-2012, 08:37 AM
Scott,Please check with the Brighton,NY Town Historian.She asked me how that secret got out! It was listed that troops were posted there during the entire war in their pamphlet.Maybe it is just a legened about the plot.Thanks-Herb