U.K. Plaque honors Abraham Lincoln
10-02-2013, 09:16 AM
U.K. Plaque honors Abraham Lincoln
Abraham Lincoln has been commemorated on a memorial in Hull, U.K., joining the anti-slavery campaigner William Wilberforce who was born in the city.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-humber-24359579

Unfortunately, when I check on this story I discovered that Hull is the worst place to live in the U.K.
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/4136342.stm
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
10-17-2013, 07:12 PM
RE: U.K. Plaque honors Abraham Lincoln
I didn't see the plaque honoring Lincoln. He certainly deserves to be among the other notables already there.

Bill Nash
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
10-17-2013, 10:37 PM
(10-02-2013 09:16 AM)Kieran McAuliffe Wrote:  Abraham Lincoln has been commemorated on a memorial in Hull, U.K., joining the anti-slavery campaigner William Wilberforce who was born in the city.

Unfortunately, when I check on this story I discovered that Hull is the worst place to live in the U.K.

Are you in the UK, Kieran?

[font=Verdana][/font]
10-18-2013, 05:27 PM
(10-17-2013 10:37 PM)irshgrl500 Wrote:  
(10-02-2013 09:16 AM)Kieran McAuliffe Wrote:  Abraham Lincoln has been commemorated on a memorial in Hull, U.K., joining the anti-slavery campaigner William Wilberforce who was born in the city.

Are you in the UK, Kieran?

hello Irshgrl
I have lived all my life in Toronto, Canada. Admirer of Mr. Lincoln since my early teens.
10-24-2013, 06:59 PM
History repeats itself:

“I have never professed an indifference to the honors of official station; and were I to do so now, I should only make myself ridiculous. Yet I have never failed---do not now fail---to remember that in the republican cause there is a higher aim than that of mere office. I have not allowed myself to forget that the abolition of the Slave-trade by Great Britain, was agitated a hundred years before it was a final success; that the measure had it's open fire-eating opponents; it's stealthy "don’t care'' opponents; it's dollar and cent opponents; it's inferior race opponents; its negro equality opponents; and its religion and good order opponents; that all these opponents got offices, and their adversaries got none. But I have also remembered that though they blazed, like tallow-candles for a century, at last they flickered in the socket, died out, stank in the dark for a brief season, and were remembered no more, even by the small. School-boys know that Wilbe[r]force, and Granville Sharpe [sic], helped that cause forward; but who can now name a single man who labored to retard it? Remembering these things I cannot but regard it as possible that the higher object of this contest may not be completely attained within the term of my natural life. But I cannot doubt either that it will come in due time. Even in this view, I am proud, in my passing speck of time, to contribute an humble mite to that glorious consummation, which my own poor eyes may not last to see.”

Collected Works of Abraham Lincoln. Volume 2.

Robert Todd Lincoln, in presenting the fragment to the Duchess of St. Albans, wrote on September 17, 1892: ``The MS. is a note made in preparing for one of the speeches in the joint-debate Campaign between Mr. Douglas & my father in 1858.'' (Parke-Bernet Catalog No. 908, December 9, 1947, p. 126.)

The actual transcript facsimile is in Holzer’s book, In Lincoln's Hand: His Original Manuscripts with Commentary by Distinguished Americans, at pages 54-55.

"So very difficult a matter is it to trace and find out the truth of anything by history." -- Plutarch
10-25-2013, 07:34 PM
There is a statue and plaque honouring Lincoln where I live in Manchester UK. As the largest processor of cotton in the world, Manchester took a strong moral and political stance by choosing to boycott Southern Cotton in protest against the use of slave labour.

This was not an easy decision to make and led to the Lancashire Cotton Famine, which saw many cotton workers lose their jobs and struggle to feed their families. Lincoln wrote a letter to thank the people of Manchester for their support. Later an American couple donated the statue as a reminder of the link between Manchester and the United States.

As for Hull, I've been there, and it's no worse than any other city in the UK.

‘I’ve danced at Abraham Lincoln’s birthday bash... I’ve peaked.’
Leigh Boswell - The Open Doorway.
http://earthkandi.blogspot.co.uk/
10-25-2013, 10:31 PM (This post was last modified: 10-25-2013 10:58 PM by David Lockmiller.)
(10-25-2013 07:34 PM)MaddieM Wrote:  There is a statue and plaque honouring Lincoln where I live in Manchester UK. As the largest processor of cotton in the world, Manchester took a strong moral and political stance by choosing to boycott Southern Cotton in protest against the use of slave labour.

This was not an easy decision to make and led to the Lancashire Cotton Famine, which saw many cotton workers lose their jobs and struggle to feed their families. Lincoln wrote a letter to thank the people of Manchester for their support. Later an American couple donated the statue as a reminder of the link between Manchester and the United States.

This is one of my favorite letters that Lincoln ever wrote and shows that the sacrifices made in the causes of the American Civil War were not made by Americans alone, as specifically acknowledged by President Lincoln in this letter to the Workingmen of Manchester, England.

To the Workingmen of Manchester, England

Executive Mansion, Washington,
January 19, 1863.

I have the honor to acknowledge the receipt of the address and resolutions which you sent to me on the eve of the new year.

When I came, on the fourth day of March, 1861, through a free and constitutional election, to preside in the government of the United States, the country was found at the verge of civil war. Whatever might have been the cause, or whosoever the fault, one duty paramount to all others was before me, namely, to maintain and preserve at once the Constitution and the integrity of the federal republic. A conscientious purpose to perform this duty is a key to all the measures of administration which have been, and to all which will hereafter be pursued. Under our form of government, and my official oath, I could not depart from this purpose if I would. It is not always in the power of governments to enlarge or restrict the scope of moral results which follow the policies that they may deem it necessary for the public safety, from time to time, to adopt.

I have understood well that the duty of self-preservation rests solely with the American people. But I have at the same time been aware that favor or disfavor of foreign nations might have a material influence in enlarging and prolonging the struggle with disloyal men in which the country is engaged. A fair examination of history has seemed to authorize a belief that the past action and influences of the United States were generally regarded as having been beneficient towards mankind. I have therefore reckoned upon the forbearance of nations. Circumstances, to some of which you kindly allude, induced me especially to expect that if justice and good faith should be practiced by the United States, they would encounter no hostile influence on the part of Great Britain. It is now a pleasant duty to acknowledge the demonstration you have given of your desire that a spirit of peace and amity towards this country may prevail in the councils of your Queen, who is respected and esteemed in your own country only more than she is by the kindred nation which has its home on this side of the Atlantic.

I know and deeply deplore the sufferings which the workingmen at Manchester and in all Europe are called to endure in this crisis. It has been often and studiously represented that the attempt to overthrow this government, which was built upon the foundation of human rights, and to substitute for it one which should rest exclusively on the basis of human slavery, was likely to obtain the favor of Europe. Through the actions of our disloyal citizens the workingmen of Europe have been subjected to a severe trial, for the purpose of forcing their sanction to that attempt. Under these circumstances, I cannot but regard your decisive utterance upon the question as an instance of sublime Christian heroism which has not been surpassed in any age or in any country. It is, indeed, an energetic and reinspiring assurance of the inherent power of truth and of the ultimate and universal triumph of justice, humanity, and freedom. I do not doubt that the sentiments you have expressed will be sustained by your great nation, and, on the other hand, I have no hesitation in assuring you that they will excite admiration, esteem, and the most reciprocal feelings of friendship among the American people. I hail this interchange of sentiment, therefore, as an augury that, whatever else may happen, whatever misfortune may befall your country or my own, the peace and friendship which now exist between the two nations will be, as it shall be my desire to make them, perpetual.

ABRAHAM LINCOLN.

After making the post immediately above, I noticed in the annotation from the Collected Works of Abraham Lincoln, some of the actual "sentiments" expressed by the Workingmen of Manchester, England. Two of which are most worthy of repeating here.

1) "One thing alone has, in the past, lessened our sympathy with your country and our confidence in it; we mean the ascendency of politicians who not merely maintained negro slavery, but desired to extend and root it more firmly."

In my earlier post, in which Lincoln honored the roles of Wilberforce and Granville Sharp in the abolishment of the slave trade in England, Lincoln made reference to the ascendency of politicians in opposition thereto in England for many years. Ironically, it was Senator Douglass and the repeal of the Missouri Compromise that brought Lincoln back into politics and yielded Lincoln's ultimate contribution to the end of slavery in the United States with both the Emancipation Proclamation and the Thirteeth Amendment, as well as his singular leadership in the American Civil War.

2) "Accept our high admiration of your firmness in upholding the proclamation of freedom.''

"So very difficult a matter is it to trace and find out the truth of anything by history." -- Plutarch