Assassination
08-22-2013, 07:46 PM
Assassination
Did any member of the Booth family, especially Edwin, send condolences to Mary Lincoln and her family after Lincoln's assassination?

Edwin openly expressed his loyalty to the Union and his support of Lincoln before and after the assassination. Did he or did Mary Ann Booth express any concern for Mrs. Lincoln and her children's welfare after the assassination?
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
08-22-2013, 08:53 PM
RE: Assassination
A letter from Edwin Booth was published in a Boston paper.

The following letter from EDWIN BOOTH is published in the Boston papers:

FRANKLIN-SQUARE, BOSTON, April 15, 1865.

Henry C. Jarrett, Esq.:

MY DEAR SIR, With deepest sorrow and great agitation I thank you for relieving me from my engagement with yourself and the public. The news of the morning has made me wretched, indeed, not only because I have received the unhappy tidings of the suspicions of a brother's crime, but because a good man and a most justly honored and patriotic ruler has fallen in an hour of national joy by the hand of an assassin. The memory of the thousands who have fallen on the field in our common country's defence during this struggle, cannot be forgotten by me even in this the most distressing day of my life. And I most sincerely pray that the victories we have already won may stay the brand of war and the tide of loyal blood.

While mourning in common with all other loyal hearts, the death of the President, I am oppressed by a private woe not to be expressed in words. But whatever calamity may befall me or mine, my country, one and indivisible, has been my warmest devotion. EDWIN BOOTH.

"There are few subjects that ignite more casual, uninformed bigotry and condescension from elites in this nation more than Dixie - Jonah Goldberg"
08-22-2013, 09:04 PM
(08-22-2013 08:53 PM)J. Beckert Wrote:  A letter from Edwin Booth was published in a Boston paper.

The following letter from EDWIN BOOTH is published in the Boston papers:

FRANKLIN-SQUARE, BOSTON, April 15, 1865.

Henry C. Jarrett, Esq.:

MY DEAR SIR, With deepest sorrow and great agitation I thank you for relieving me from my engagement with yourself and the public. The news of the morning has made me wretched, indeed, not only because I have received the unhappy tidings of the suspicions of a brother's crime, but because a good man and a most justly honored and patriotic ruler has fallen in an hour of national joy by the hand of an assassin. The memory of the thousands who have fallen on the field in our common country's defence during this struggle, cannot be forgotten by me even in this the most distressing day of my life. And I most sincerely pray that the victories we have already won may stay the brand of war and the tide of loyal blood.

While mourning in common with all other loyal hearts, the death of the President, I am oppressed by a private woe not to be expressed in words. But whatever calamity may befall me or mine, my country, one and indivisible, has been my warmest devotion. EDWIN BOOTH.

But where is there any mention of concern for Mrs. Lincoln and her family?
Anita
08-22-2013, 09:38 PM (This post was last modified: 08-22-2013 09:51 PM by J. Beckert.)
There is none and I think that's the extent of Edwin's sentiments. It was a great shame he carried for the remainder of his life. I think it was a cross he bore in silence. He also rarely spoke of his brother in the years following his act.

"There are few subjects that ignite more casual, uninformed bigotry and condescension from elites in this nation more than Dixie - Jonah Goldberg"
08-23-2013, 05:00 AM
I looked in Mary Todd Lincoln: Her Life and Letters by Justin Turner and Linda Levitt Turner and there is no communication with Edwin. However, the authors write that, "From all over the world, Mary Lincoln received messages of condolence." One letter she cherished came from Queen Victoria. It read:

April 29, 1865

Dear Madam,

Though a Stranger to you I cannot remain silent when so terrible a calamity has fallen upon you & your Country & must personally express my deep & heartfelt sympathy with you under the shocking circumstances of your present dreadful misfortune —

No one can better appreciate than I can, who am myself utterly broken-hearted by the loss of my own beloved Husband, who was the Light of my Life, — my Stay — my all, — what your sufferings must be; and I earnestly pray that you may be supported by Him to whom Alone the sorely stricken can look for comfort, in this hour of heavy affliction.

With the renewed Expression of true sympathy, I remain,

dear Madam,

Your Sincere friend

Victoria Rg
08-23-2013, 08:41 AM
Other than Edwin, I can't think that any other member of the Booth family would express sympathies to Mrs. Lincoln and the sons. I don't say this because they were unkind people; I think they were so caught up in being arrested and absorbing the shame that the grief and terror that Mrs. Lincoln was feeling did not enter their heads.
08-23-2013, 10:45 PM (This post was last modified: 08-23-2013 11:20 PM by Anita.)
Roger, thanks for your post. I feel better knowing Mary received letters of condolence from all over the world. I was under the impression she was pretty much ignored and her grief unacknowledged by all but closest friends and family.

(08-23-2013 08:41 AM)L Verge Wrote:  Other than Edwin, I can't think that any other member of the Booth family would express sympathies to Mrs. Lincoln and the sons. I don't say this because they were unkind people; I think they were so caught up in being arrested and absorbing the shame that the grief and terror that Mrs. Lincoln was feeling did not enter their heads.

Good point. It had to be devastating for them.

Do you know if Edwin and Robert Lincoln ever crossed paths? Anita
08-24-2013, 03:05 AM (This post was last modified: 08-24-2013 07:58 AM by Eva Elisabeth.)
Edwin Booth and Robert indeed once crossed paths by chance - or fate, because Edwin saved Robert from death or at least serious injury. The incident occurred on a train platform in Jersey City, New Jersey.
Robert was on a holiday from Harvard, traveling from New York to Washington, D.C., while Booth was on his way to Richmond, Va., with his friend, John T. Ford (owner of Ford's Theatre). Robert was waiting to buy a train ticket when he was accidentally pushed off the railway platform into the path of an oncoming train. (see "Robert Todd Lincoln: A man in his own right", by John S. Goff, pp.70-71)
The exact date of incident is unknown, it is believed to have taken place in late 1864 or early 1865, although Robert consistently recalled it as having occurred in 1863 or 1864.

Booth did not even know whose life he had saved until some months after the incident, in 1865, Booth received a letter from a friend, Colonel Adam Badeau, who was serving as an officer on Grant's staff. Badeau had heard the story from Robert Lincoln while they both were stationed together at City Point, Va. In the letter, Badeau gave his compliments to Booth for his deed. Having saved Robert's life alledgedly gave some comfort to Edwin Booth after his brother's assassination of Abraham Lincoln.

Edwin Booth later retold the story to his friend Mr. William Bispham, who wrote an article about the incident in "The Century Magazine" in November 1893:

“He (Booth) had started for Philadelphia from New York, and while he was standing on the platform of a car, still in the Pennsylvania railroad station at Jersey City, and just as the train was about to move, a young lad, going from one car to another, stumbled, and would have fallen between them, had not Edwin caught him by the collar of the coat and landed him in safety by his side. The boy, whom Edwin had never seen before, evidently recognized him, and holding out his hand said to him ‘That was a narrow escape, Mr. Booth’ and thanked him warmly. Two weeks later, Edwin received a letter from General Adam Badreau in which the latter mentioned that Robert Lincoln told him that it was his life that had thus been saved.”

Later Robert was asked by the editor of "The Century Magazine", Richard Watson Gilder, to verify the story. He responded in a letter in February 1909:

"The incident occurred while a group of passengers were late at night purchasing their sleeping car places from the conductor who stood on the station platform at the entrance of the car. The platform was about the height of the car floor, and there was of course a narrow space between the platform and the car body. There was some crowding, and I happened to be pressed by it against the car body while waiting my turn. In this situation the train began to move, and by the motion I was twisted off my feet, and had dropped somewhat, with feet downward, into the open space, and was personally helpless, when my coat collar was vigorously seized and I was quickly pulled up and out to a secure footing on the platform. Upon turning to thank my rescuer I saw it was Edwin Booth, whose face was of course well known to me, and I expressed my gratitude to him, and in doing so, called him by name."
08-24-2013, 08:32 AM
I believe I read somewhere that Edwin took great comfort in that letter and carried it in his wallet for years after the assassination.

08-24-2013, 08:51 AM (This post was last modified: 08-24-2013 08:54 AM by Eva Elisabeth.)
(08-24-2013 08:32 AM)J. Beckert Wrote:  I believe I read somewhere that Edwin took great comfort in that letter and carried it in his wallet for years after the assassination.
If I had been him I would probably have done so.
08-24-2013, 01:25 PM
Eva, thanks for this amazing story. Even though I know it's a coincidence, it gives me goose bumps. First that it was Edwin who saved Robert and then that Robert and Badeau were stationed with Grant at City Pt and Robert shared the story.

I just finished reading the book, "My Thoughts Are Bloody" by Titone and there was no mention no mention of it.

I wonder if Robert ever shared this story with his mother.
08-28-2013, 05:08 PM
I have always thought that this incident between Edwin Booth and Robert Lincoln was just a little too coincidental. First, Booth only recalled the incident after Colonel Adam Badeau told him that Robert Lincoln had mentioned it. Second, Booth referred to the person he saved as a "boy." Even if taking the earliest date of 1863 as the time when this happened the "boy" Robert, would have been 20 years old at that time. You could hardly consider a 20 year old to be a "boy" or a "lad."

Train stations and the railroad tracks were dangerous places to be back in those days (still are today. As a railroad worker I know first hand!), and it was not uncommon for someone to walk out into the path of an oncoming train, or simply take a wrong step off a platform.

It is quite possible that Edwin did save a boy and not knowing what RTL looked like, or his proper age, assumed that it was him after Badeau told him what RTL was telling the public. We are going on RTL's belief that it was Edwin that had saved him, but it might have been a case of mistaken identity.

Also, the two accounts differ in the way the incident played out.

Just playing the devils advocate here! I have always liked the story after first reading it in "Ripley's Believe it or not" when I was a kid.

Craig
08-28-2013, 05:16 PM
RTL said he imeadiately recognized Booth and in thanking him, called him by name. The description that sounds most feasible is that RTL was pushed into a car as it began to move, getting stuck in the gap between the moving car and the platform. Booth vigorously grabbed his coat and pulled him back onto the platform.

08-28-2013, 06:10 PM
I don't know how many accounts Robert gave of the incident, but the one I have in my files is from a February 6, 1909, RTL letter to Richard Watson Gilder, editor of The Century Magazine, who asked him to verify the incident:

The incident occurred while a group of passengers were late at night purchasing their sleeping car places from the conductor who stood on the station platform at the entrance of the car. The platform was about the height of the car floor, and there was of course a narrow space between the platform and the car body. There was some crowding, and I happened to be pressed by it against the car body while waiting my turn. In this situation the train began to move, and by the motion I was twisted off my feet, and had dropped somewhat, with feet downward, into the open space, and was personally helpless, when my coat collar was vigorously seized and I was quickly pulled up and out to a secure footing on the platform. Upon turning to thank my rescuer I saw it was Edwin Booth, whose face was of course well known to me, and I expressed my gratitude to him, and in doing so, called him by name.
08-28-2013, 06:58 PM
Several years ago, before Giant in the Shadows was completed, Jason Emerson spoke at a Surratt function and made reference to this incident - pretty much saying what RTL had put in the Century article. However, Jason emphasized that the incident had been blown out of proportion over the years by historians. Jason will be a speaker at the Surratt conference in March, so come to Surrattsville and question him again, now that his book on RTL is published.