William Clarke-140th NY at Gettysburg
07-23-2012, 04:50 PM
Rainbow William Clarke-140th NY at Gettysburg
William Clarke was from Rochester,NY and was terribly wounded at Devil's Den.He took a mini-ball in his face and another one in his arm.He was separated from his unit and saw a red hospital flag on a barn.A Dr.told him he would have get on the amputating table.He said, "oh no",and ran away.He then put a splint on his arm and treated his own wound by putting his arm in a creek for 13 days.He was proud that he saw President Lincoln before he was wounded!He then was discharged and came home on Christmas Day 1863.He was a Blacksmith with a deformed arm for the rest of his life!
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
07-23-2012, 08:24 PM
RE: William Clarke-140th NY at Gettysburg
(07-23-2012 04:50 PM)HerbS Wrote:  William Clarke was from Rochester,NY and was terribly wounded at Devil's Den.He took a mini-ball in his face and another one in his arm.He was separated from his unit and saw a red hospital flag on a barn.A Dr.told him he would have get on the amputating table.He said, "oh no",and ran away.He then put a splint on his arm and treated his own wound by putting his arm in a creek for 13 days.He was proud that he saw President Lincoln before he was wounded!He then was discharged and came home on Christmas Day 1863.He was a Blacksmith with a deformed arm for the rest of his life!

Fantastic story, Herb! Thanks a bunch....

"The Past is a foreign country...they do things differently there" - L. P. Hartley
07-23-2012, 08:26 PM
I like these stories, Herb. I hope you keep posting them.

"There are few subjects that ignite more casual, uninformed bigotry and condescension from elites in this nation more than Dixie - Jonah Goldberg"
07-24-2012, 12:42 AM
When did he see Lincoln I wonder...

Bill Nash
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
07-24-2012, 08:03 AM
Bill,According to my sources,he saw Lincoln early in the war.Every family I had in class"Rochester and the Civil War" had an ancestor claim to have seen Lincoln.Look at all the people that were on the Mayflower!
07-24-2012, 08:49 AM
Herb: Thanks for causing my morning smile. You're right. Smile

Bill Nash
07-24-2012, 09:31 PM
Herb,
You always have a great story to tell!

Craig
07-25-2012, 07:47 AM
Thanks-Craig these all come from members in the college class"Rochester and The Civil War" that I taught.It was "show and Tell"every week!They were from ages 28yrs to 88yrs old.These stories came from ancestors in writing! One man had a fabulous button collection that blew me away!
07-25-2012, 07:50 AM
Herb: How far we've come (down the tubes?). You taught a college class "Rochester and The Civil War." Do you suppose any class like that is being offered at the school nowadays?

Bill Nash
07-25-2012, 08:36 AM
Bill,No not in High School[too test orientated].College-yes.My course was a College Continuing Education.Re-enactors were a pain--NY108th vs.Moseby's Raiders- would not sit next to each other as adults.But,they did invite me to thier banquets!
07-25-2012, 08:44 AM
Really? You have me laughing Herb! So the Yanks and Rebs wouldn't sit next to each other? Perhaps they wanted to stay in "character."

Bill Nash