Lincoln's special bundle
07-05-2012, 02:12 PM
Lincoln's special bundle
William Herndon, Lincoln's law partner, recalled that Lincoln kept a special bundle on his desk marked, "When you can't find it anywhere else, look into this."

If you cannot find any category to fit your post, please post it here!
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
07-06-2012, 08:14 AM
RE: Lincoln's special bundle
Thirty years ago I met 90yr old man from Rochester,NY who told me this story.When he was a young boy in school the superintendant of schools[who was an officer in the Civil War] came to every school to shake the kids hands.Then he would tell them that he had a hand shake from Abraham Lincoln.So the man had a hand shake with the superintendant and I shook the hand of man who shook the hand with man who shook the hand with Abraham Lincoln! So,that inspired me to shake hands with every student in my class on the first day of school.Then I would tell them this story!
07-06-2012, 09:35 AM
(07-05-2012 02:12 PM)rjnorton Wrote:  William Herndon, Lincoln's law partner, recalled that Lincoln kept a special bundle on his desk marked, "When you can't find it anywhere else, look into this."

Roger,

Hooray on your blog site. Finally, a place where I can blog about Lincoln's earlier life instead of his assassination.
07-06-2012, 10:02 AM
Congrats, Roger! This is wonderful! Thank you!
Best, Kate
07-06-2012, 02:36 PM
Roger. I also want to thank you for this undertaking. I had liked The Friends of Lincoln Mailbag very much and was sorry when it was removed from circulation. Best of luck with this new endeavor.

Roger Martin
07-06-2012, 03:44 PM
(07-06-2012 02:36 PM)Rogerm Wrote:  Roger. I also want to thank you for this undertaking. I had liked The Friends of Lincoln Mailbag very much and was sorry when it was removed from circulation. Best of luck with this new endeavor.

Roger Martin

Thanks, Roger. Lincoln and family have always been my main focus (especially the Illinois years), but I have a very strong interest and fascination with the assassination story as well. It just became pretty apparent that the 'ol Mailbag wasn't coming back; like you, I missed it. Thank you for joining here!
07-06-2012, 04:41 PM
(07-06-2012 10:02 AM)KLarson Wrote:  Congrats, Roger! This is wonderful! Thank you!
Best, Kate

Thank you, Kate. Having you as a member is an honor!
07-06-2012, 04:44 PM
(07-06-2012 09:35 AM)Joe Di Cola Wrote:  
(07-05-2012 02:12 PM)rjnorton Wrote:  William Herndon, Lincoln's law partner, recalled that Lincoln kept a special bundle on his desk marked, "When you can't find it anywhere else, look into this."

Roger,

Hooray on your blog site. Finally, a place where I can blog about Lincoln's earlier life instead of his assassination.

Thanks, Joe. We can talk about Ann Rutledge again!
07-06-2012, 09:49 PM
Thank you Roger, for this forum and your other AL site as well. I can't even imagine the time you have, and will be investing in these sites for us all to enjoy. I have created "shortcuts" for both on my desktop AND my i-phone!

Tony
07-06-2012, 10:27 PM
(07-06-2012 09:49 PM)NJREB1863 Wrote:  Thank you Roger, for this forum and your other AL site as well. I can't even imagine the time you have, and will be investing in these sites for us all to enjoy. I have created "shortcuts" for both on my desktop AND my i-phone!

Tony

I have to reiterate what everyone else has said, Roger. Thank you and best of luck here!

"There are few subjects that ignite more casual, uninformed bigotry and condescension from elites in this nation more than Dixie - Jonah Goldberg"
07-07-2012, 04:58 AM (This post was last modified: 07-07-2012 05:09 AM by RJNorton.)
(07-06-2012 09:49 PM)NJREB1863 Wrote:  Thank you Roger, for this forum and your other AL site as well. I can't even imagine the time you have, and will be investing in these sites for us all to enjoy. I have created "shortcuts" for both on my desktop AND my i-phone!

Tony

Thanks, Tony. I was so glad to see you joined. As far as time goes...and my wife can attest to this...if there is a Cubs, Bears, or Bulls game on, I am not at the computer! Yes, Lincoln is my favorite person from history, but I really love those Chicago sports teams. When I was born in 1943, the very first thing my mother said to me was, "You are a Cubs fan." Then, the second thing I remember, a voice from above said in a low voice, "No matter how many countless hours you spend at the driving range, you will never be better than a 15 handicapper."
07-07-2012, 05:14 AM
(07-06-2012 10:27 PM)J. Beckert Wrote:  

Tony

I have to reiterate what everyone else has said, Roger. Thank you and best of luck here!

Thanks, Joe. I was really hoping to see you here. Thank you for signing up. I will be ready for some of your difficult trivia questions with great prizes for right answers!
07-07-2012, 09:10 AM
Glad to see the site up and running, Roger. Hope this gets as many hits as ALO did. It's a worthy successor.

Best
Rob
07-07-2012, 09:31 AM
(07-06-2012 04:44 PM)RJNorton Wrote:  
(07-06-2012 09:35 AM)Joe Di Cola Wrote:  

Roger,

Thanks, Joe. We can talk about Ann Rutledge again!
I will be at the Old Concord Cemetery outside of New Salem next Friday taking some new photos of gravesites I had missed before.
07-07-2012, 09:57 AM
Hi, Roger and Friends!

Thanks, Roger, for starting this new forum. I am really looking forward to participating!

Best regards--

--Jim