Leroy Anderson's Orchestral Classic "The Typewriter"
08-12-2013, 05:04 PM
Leroy Anderson's Orchestral Classic "The Typewriter"
Thank you to Laurie for sending this.

Here's some fun and frivolity - and some of us old-timers will remember not only the song, but that weird contraption known as a TYPEWRITER.

The Typewriter

Leroy Anderson (1908-1975) was an American composer of short, light concert pieces; many of which were introduced by the Boston Pops Orchestra under the direction of Arthur Fiedler. As with all his other compositions, Leroy Anderson wrote The Typewriter for orchestra, completing the work on October 9, 1950.

This particular orchestration was performed in a June 12, 2011 concert by members of the National Orchestra and Chorus of Spain in Madrid. The (typewriter) soloist is Alfredo Anaya.

Watch his expressions and actions throughout the video...wonderful!
Many of the younger crowd-- who may see this video--won't remember the old typewriter. But us geezers remember it well. That was a long time ago.

You will find this rendition absolutely delightful.

If you aren't at least smiling at the end, YOU REALLY MUST BE HAVING A VERY BAD DAY!

This is for all the ancients who remember what a typewriter was! Enjoy!

Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
08-12-2013, 05:47 PM (This post was last modified: 08-12-2013 05:48 PM by Eva Elisabeth.)
RE: Leroy Anderson's Orchestral Classic "The Typewriter"
(08-12-2013 05:04 PM)RJNorton Wrote:  Many of the younger crowd-- who may see this video--won't remember the old typewriter. But us geezers remember it well. That was a long time ago.
Remember the contraception or the writing device? If you mean the latter it makes me feel...well, older than I felt before...
The performance is GREAT, I LOVE this piece! (Our opera house has had it in the repertoire for many years now, and it's usually part of each season opening gala etc.-but this performance I admit is better.)
I still wonder how that contraception looked like, but I'm afraid, it's beyond my imagination...
08-12-2013, 05:52 PM
Careful, Eva - the word is "contraption," not "contraception." Old typewriters were wonderful, but I don't think they were able to prevent pregnancy! You just gave me my laugh for the day.
08-12-2013, 06:03 PM
Ops, obviously I didn't read carefully...I hope you won't tell me now it was a Freudean slip...Normally I would correct mistakes if I saw them, but if it made you laugh, others should have some fun as well.
08-12-2013, 06:06 PM
Just pray that the Yankee is behaving himself tonight...
08-12-2013, 06:19 PM
Jerry Lewis also did the same thing in the movie Who's Minding the Store.

Best
Rob

Abraham Lincoln in the only man, dead or alive, with whom I could have spent five years without one hour of boredom.
--Ida M. Tarbell

I want the respect of intelligent men, but I will choose for myself the intelligent.
--Carl Sandburg
08-12-2013, 09:20 PM (This post was last modified: 08-12-2013 09:20 PM by J. Beckert.)
(08-12-2013 06:06 PM)L Verge Wrote:  Just pray that the Yankee is behaving himself tonight...

I missed a trivia question and a great chance to tweak Eva! Dang it! I had to work late today. When my job fizzles out soon, "y'all" are in trouble.

"There are few subjects that ignite more casual, uninformed bigotry and condescension from elites in this nation more than Dixie - Jonah Goldberg"
08-13-2013, 06:58 AM
(08-12-2013 06:19 PM)Rob Wick Wrote:  Jerry Lewis also did the same thing in the movie Who's Minding the Store.

Best
Rob

One of my favorite Jerry Lewis scenes!

Bill Nash
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
08-13-2013, 07:27 AM
Every year The Rochester Philharmonic Orchestra would come to the schools and perform.They would always start with the"Typewriter"and end with the"Sleighride".The enjoyment of music is not brought to the schools anymore!