Booth and Herold's Stay at Nanjemoy Creek
08-07-2013, 06:13 AM
Booth and Herold's Stay at Nanjemoy Creek
Please head on over to Dave Taylor's BoothieBarn for a grand tour and information on Booth and Herold's stay at Nanjemoy Creek!

http://boothiebarn.com/2013/08/07/booth-...mment-3864

If you haven't visited Dave's site recently - you are in for a real Treat!

"The Past is a foreign country...they do things differently there" - L. P. Hartley
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
08-07-2013, 06:39 AM
RE: Booth and Herold's Stay at Nanjemoy Creek
Great photo's Dave. The series has been great.
Almost makes me want to stay there for a couple of days and enjoy the quiet.

So when is this "Old Enough To Know Better" supposed to kick in?
08-07-2013, 03:54 PM
Betty O. and Dave. I do not want to detract from your story, but I would like to add to it. Some time ago, I did some research on the "Loch Eleven" farm, which turned out to be "Lock Leven", and in the process bumped into the "Indian Town" Farm. (They are very close to one another).
My walk-through was several years ago, so things may have changed some since then, but here goes
#1. King's Creek is entirely on the "Indian Town" farm - both sides of the creek.
#2. Before my visit, the farm belonged to the Catholic Church and it was being held as a location for a new Catholic Parish, which never materialized. In fact, you passed the Church that was eventually built, near McConchie, MD on Rt. 6.
#3. I was told at that time that the "Indiantown Farm" was given to the "Maryland Parks" people and was to be developed as a Park. There were people living in that house near the Road Sign for the farm.
Laurie, do you remember this? I didn't keep good notes, because I was working on Loch Leven. I can't remember which web site the report was Posted. Maybe it is in the Courrier.
Dave, if this is important to you, I will rerun that trip, and back-up all I say. I can get a copy of the plat that shows Indiantown. I can then transfer the data to your Topo Map. The Plat was not in the Court House in La Plata, MD. I went to a building, on Rt. 301, very near the Sheriff's Office (South of town, West side of road) It seems it was a Tax Office of some kind. (In a Shopping Center).
If I can help - just give me my marching orders. I can see the Nanjemoy from my Living Room, so it isn't much travel for me. (Cawood used to watch the Nanjemoy from the same spot, LOL)
08-07-2013, 04:42 PM
I do remember hearing that the Maryland State Department of Wildlife and Water Resources (or some name like that) had purchased the farm in order to preserve the riverbanks from development. I'll do some asking around.
08-07-2013, 07:22 PM
It certainly looks like Dave is making full use of his first full summer in Maryland.
08-08-2013, 05:38 PM
John,

Thank you for the information. Part of the southern end of Blossom Point, before you get to the military lab, is now a Wildlife Management Area. The land for the area was sold to the State in 2009 from the Roman Catholic Clergymen. This area might have been part of the Indiantown when Peregrine Davis owned the land. This would account for the fact that different sources seem to give Davis' farm as either north or south of King's Creek. If he owned this land as well, than the answer would be that both are correct. The house and cabin I visited are north of King's Creek, with the creek being the southern border for the property.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
08-08-2013, 07:41 PM
If I'm not mistaken, King's Creek is reduced to a tiny stream that runs along the main road very close to where the Indiantown Farm sign hangs.

Did your hostess by any chance mention the name Dr. Chiaramonte as being the former owner who died this spring?
08-08-2013, 08:00 PM
(08-08-2013 07:41 PM)L Verge Wrote:  If I'm not mistaken, King's Creek is reduced to a tiny stream that runs along the main road very close to where the Indiantown Farm sign hangs.

Did your hostess by any chance mention the name Dr. Chiaramonte as being the former owner who died this spring?

Yes, Laurie. That is the former owner who passed away and who did not like people on his land.
08-09-2013, 09:04 AM
(08-08-2013 08:00 PM)Dave Taylor Wrote:  
(08-08-2013 07:41 PM)L Verge Wrote:  If I'm not mistaken, King's Creek is reduced to a tiny stream that runs along the main road very close to where the Indiantown Farm sign hangs.

Yes, Laurie. That is the former owner who passed away and who did not like people on his land.

For those of you who attend the Surratt conferences, Dr. Chiaramonte also owned Colony South Hotel and Conference Center where we meet as well as Southern Maryland Hospital, which is directly behind the hotel.
08-09-2013, 04:41 PM
Am I correct in thinking that for Booth and Herold-conditions could have been more miserable if the escape had occurred in July or August? In April, I don't imagine there were any insects, snakes, or other "warmer weather" creatures to contend with? What was the weather like in the area in April of 1865?

Bill Nash