Lincoln's Citadel
07-27-2013, 12:48 PM
Lincoln's Citadel
Just noticed that Kenneth J. Winkle, author of The Young Eagle: The Rise of Abraham Lincoln has come out with a new book called Lincoln's Citadel The Civil War in Washington, DC. Looks interesting.

Best
Rob

Abraham Lincoln in the only man, dead or alive, with whom I could have spent five years without one hour of boredom.
--Ida M. Tarbell

I want the respect of intelligent men, but I will choose for myself the intelligent.
--Carl Sandburg
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
07-27-2013, 01:44 PM
RE: Lincoln's Citadel
Hi Rob. Professor Winkle is a member here but has not posted. I think I'll send him an email and see if I can possibly prevail upon him to make a post about his new book.
07-27-2013, 02:25 PM
I hope he will Roger. I'm going to pick it up today.

Best
Rob

Abraham Lincoln in the only man, dead or alive, with whom I could have spent five years without one hour of boredom.
--Ida M. Tarbell

I want the respect of intelligent men, but I will choose for myself the intelligent.
--Carl Sandburg
07-27-2013, 06:13 PM
Rob: I love the new Sandburg quote in your text signature.

Bill Nash
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
07-29-2013, 02:42 PM (This post was last modified: 07-29-2013 02:44 PM by Kenneth Winkle.)
Rob,

Thank you for posting a notice about my new book, Lincoln’s Citadel. It’s the follow-up to my previous book, The Young Eagle, which analyzed Lincoln’s early life and rise to the presidency within the context of the community he lived in, Springfield, Illinois. Lincoln’s Citadel does the same thing for Lincoln in Civil War Washington, DC. Washington was the most strategic city in the Union, because it was the capital, sat next to the eastern theater, was sandwiched between two slave states, and suffered a constant threat of attack throughout the war (including the direct attack at Fort Stevens in 1864). Presiding over the Union in Washington posed mammoth challenges for Lincoln that made a huge impact on how he viewed the war and conducted it, pursued emancipation as a war aim, and held the Union together. Security and loyalty were the first challenges he faced, and he developed a security system (suspension of habeas corpus, loyalty oaths, military arrests) that eventually spread across the entire North. Forty thousand fugitive slaves arrived in Washington during the war, which helped to reshape Lincoln’s attitudes toward slavery and emancipation throughout America. (Lincoln and Congress ended slavery in the District of Columbia eight months before the Emancipation Proclamation.) Washington treated hundreds of thousands of soldiers in over 100 military hospitals and achieved a revolution in wartime medical care. Living in Washington also made a big impact on Lincoln’s family life, including the death of his son Willie and the personal strain the presidency put on his marriage. The narrative analyzes Lincoln not just as president and commander-in-chief but as a mortal individual facing the same horrific challenges as everyone else living in a wartime city full of threats, dangers, and unforeseen personal challenges. The book puts a human face on Lincoln and on the community that he lived in as president. It’s a nice meaty 500 pages with a lot of details and anecdotes about Lincoln and his family and the remarkable achievements of the ordinary people who lived in Washington during the Civil War. It comes out on August 19.
07-29-2013, 02:55 PM (This post was last modified: 07-29-2013 02:58 PM by Rob Wick.)
Kenneth,

It's nice to read your posting about the book. Just to let you know, however, it's already out. I bought my copy Saturday.

Best
Rob

(07-27-2013 06:13 PM)LincolnMan Wrote:  Rob: I love the new Sandburg quote in your text signature.

Bill,

I found it when I was looking for ads of Tarbell during her Lyceum days. The University of Iowa has a site of Lyceum memorabilia that includes items from both Tarbell and Sandburg. It was listed in a brochure advertising Sandburg.

Best
Rob

http://sdrc.lib.uiowa.edu/traveling-cult...sc150.html

--Ida M. Tarbell

--Carl Sandburg
07-29-2013, 03:20 PM
Rob,

That's news to me! But nice to know!

Thanks,

Ken
07-29-2013, 03:40 PM
(07-29-2013 02:42 PM)Kenneth Winkle Wrote:  The book puts a human face on Lincoln and on the community that he lived in as president. It’s a nice meaty 500 pages with a lot of details and anecdotes about Lincoln and his family and the remarkable achievements of the ordinary people who lived in Washington during the Civil War. It comes out on August 19.

That's exactly what I am interested in reading about, Professor Winkle.

Rob, can you tell us where you bought the book? It's not available at Amazon until August 19 and the Barnes and Noble release date is August 12.
07-29-2013, 04:11 PM
Both books look very interesting. I just bought nine books on Amazon last week about Lincoln, so if I get any more real soon i'm in trouble. I've got a stack on the floor to read now. (two of them were children's books - I like the pictures, most were used (three were less than a $1 each, one was only $0.01) Some real bargains out there, I spent a total of $65 incl s&h, - I'm thrifty.

http://www.amazon.com/Lincolns-Citadel-T...0393081559

http://www.amazon.com/Young-Eagle-Rise-A...621&sr=1-3

I'm adding these to my wish list

So when is this "Old Enough To Know Better" supposed to kick in?
07-29-2013, 04:16 PM
(07-29-2013 03:40 PM)Linda Anderson Wrote:  
(07-29-2013 02:42 PM)Kenneth Winkle Wrote:  The book puts a human face on Lincoln and on the community that he lived in as president. It’s a nice meaty 500 pages with a lot of details and anecdotes about Lincoln and his family and the remarkable achievements of the ordinary people who lived in Washington during the Civil War. It comes out on August 19.

That's exactly what I am interested in reading about, Professor Winkle.

Rob, can you tell us where you bought the book? It's not available at Amazon until August 19 and the Barnes and Noble release date is August 12.

Linda,

It came into my BN Saturday.

Best
Rob

--Ida M. Tarbell

--Carl Sandburg
07-29-2013, 04:26 PM
Thanks, Rob. I'll check it out.
07-29-2013, 05:27 PM
Looks like another book to add to the gift shop at Surratt House.
07-30-2013, 12:33 AM
(07-29-2013 04:11 PM)Gene C Wrote:  Both books look very interesting. I just bought nine books on Amazon last week about Lincoln, so if I get any more real soon i'm in trouble. I've got a stack on the floor to read now. (two of them were children's books - I like the pictures, most were used (three were less than a $1 each, one was only $0.01) Some real bargains out there, I spent a total of $65 incl s&h, - I'm thrifty.

You sound just like me, Gene! And that's how I've gathered most of mine too. Which ones did you get? (especially the children's?)
07-30-2013, 10:12 AM (This post was last modified: 07-30-2013 01:49 PM by Gene C.)
(07-30-2013 12:33 AM)Dawn E Foster Wrote:  You sound just like me, Gene! And that's how I've gathered most of mine too. Which ones did you get? (especially the children's?)

Recently purchased Children's Books
The Abraham Lincoln You Never Knew by James Collier
Lincoln's Animal Friends by Ruth Painter Randall
Abraham Lincoln - The Greatest of Good Men - U J Hoffman
Abe Lincoln by Sterling North
Abraham Lincoln Friend of the People by Clara Ingram Judson
The Story of Abraham Lincoln by Nina Brown Baker
Abraham Lincoln - God's Leader for a Nation by David Collins
Vinnie and Abraham by Dawn FitzGerald

About 2 months ago I wanted to see if the way Abraham Lincoln was portrayed in children's books had changed in the past 50-70 years. I went to the library and checked out a few, then purchased a few older books. So far, the older books mention his christian values more than the newer books, and talked more about his character and the newer ones talk more about his accomplishments. That's just my broad generalization, I'm still comparing. It's not a serious study, I was just curious. I also enjoy the illustrations.

On the more adult level, and I haven't read these yet

Darkest Dwan by Thomas Goodrich (reading it now - it's good)
Honor's Voice by Douglas Wilson
Lincolns Legends by Edward Steers
In Lincoln's Footsteps by Don Davenport (it's a travel book I ordered for $0.01, what did I have to loose)
Lincoln's Assassins by James Swanson
Lincoln and Kennedy: Medical and Ballistic Comparisons by John Lattimer
The Secret War for the Union by Edwin Fishel
They have Killed Papa Dead by Anthony Pitch

There are alot of reasonably priced books available.
So many books, so little time

So when is this "Old Enough To Know Better" supposed to kick in?
07-31-2013, 05:41 AM (This post was last modified: 07-31-2013 06:55 AM by Eva Elisabeth.)
Seems you have all the over 15,000 books, Gene! So, which do you like best (in both categories)?

(Is this from one of your children's books?
http://iheartpainting.files.wordpress.co...-louie.jpg )