JWB still making news 148 yrs later
I thought this was interesting:

http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2013...ne/?page=1
Quote this message in a reply
07-22-2013, 09:34 PM
RE: JWB still making news 148 yrs later
(07-22-2013 07:39 PM)Rhatkinson Wrote:  I thought this was interesting:

I believe that when Booth shot Lincoln he thought that he would become a sort of David by killing the evil Goliath. He totally misjudged the prevailing attitude of the average southern person in April of 1865 who were fed up with 4 years of war. I wonder what he would have thought of the few people who still idolize him 148 years after his death?

Craig
Find all posts by this user
07-22-2013, 10:33 PM
I think you're right about Booth's anticipated reception of the Southern folks, Craig. He referred to himself as a slave, or a "favored" one, but Cox, Stuart, etc., had many more run ins with the Yankees, Old Capitol Prison and reality than Booth did. They were sick of it. I think he thought everyone he told his story to would have the sympathies that Thomas Jones had. When offered $100,000 for information about Booth, Jones just said - if money will get him, that ought to do it - and kept his mouth shut. Booth's statement that he could return to Washington and clear his name tells me he was out of touch with reality. I can't help but think his life of make believe on the stage had a part in his rationale.

"There are few subjects that ignite more casual, uninformed bigotry and condescension from elites in this nation more than Dixie - Jonah Goldberg"
07-22-2013, 10:44 PM
(07-22-2013 09:34 PM)Craig Hipkins Wrote:  
(07-22-2013 07:39 PM)Rhatkinson Wrote:  I thought this was interesting:

I believe that when Booth shot Lincoln he thought that he would become a sort of David by killing the evil Goliath. He totally misjudged the prevailing attitude of the average southern person in April of 1865 who were fed up with 4 years of war. I wonder what he would have thought of the few people who still idolize him 148 years after his death?

Craig

I can believe that too Craig . . . I mean Booth seriously thought he was taking down a tyrant!!! I will say this though, I think that prior to killing Lincoln, Booth knew that what he was doing was going to change the course of history and go down as one of the biggest killings in history!
07-23-2013, 05:51 AM
Quote:I believe that when Booth shot Lincoln he thought that he would become a sort of David by killing the evil Goliath. He totally misjudged the prevailing attitude of the average southern person in April of 1865 who were fed up with 4 years of war. I wonder what he would have thought of the few people who still idolize him 148 years after his death?

Powell also seemed to think that he would be "given a promotion (by the Confederate Army) and have the undying affection of the Southern People" - or so he told Gillette. But I think that this is just the bravado, or naivety of youth. For all his military experience - he was still just a kid who seemed to believe (and do) what he was told by his superiors. Powell, however, at the end had the intelligence to see the error of his ways.

"The Past is a foreign country...they do things differently there" - L. P. Hartley
07-23-2013, 08:25 AM
Booth, today, is regarded as one of the great villains of history by many people, whether or not he deserves that designation. But, he asked for it. This is the place he ultimately chose for himself in history.