Mr. Lincoln's Coat
07-16-2013, 06:34 PM
Mr. Lincoln's Coat
Just heard from Barry Cauchon who says that Lincoln's coat will be "permanently" removed from the lobby of Ford's Theatre.

Let's hope that the display will move down to the basement where it is somewhat darker and cooler in an effort to better stabilize the coat and that it will remain on display.

"The Past is a foreign country...they do things differently there" - L. P. Hartley
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
07-16-2013, 07:14 PM
RE: Mr. Lincoln's Coat
The coat has not been on display for over a year. They have a replica made by Brooks Bros.

The coat is very fragile. The ultimate goal is to put it into a rotation, but the coat and THE PILLOW are among the most fragile of relics in the NPS collection.

Many at Ford's were surprised when they did put the coat out on display in the lobby. While the case glass was/is suppose to filter all damaging light rays, many were skepital.

My bet is that it may be a while before we see the coat or the pillow. I hope I'm wrong.
Sent on the Sprint® Now Network from my BlackBerry®
07-18-2013, 03:11 PM
I hope you are wrong, too, Jim.

As you noted, the original Brooks Brothers' greatcoat is currently not on display; consequently the "coat" that will be removed is a replica - provided by Brooks Brothers in 1990. The original coat has not been on display since 2011, and I am not sure if it will ever return for public viewing.

When I researched the records at Ford's Theatre a few months ago, I read a report prepared by a textile conservation service regarding the coat. The recommendation, in the report, is as follows:

"The coat is extremely fragile. The coat needs to be retired permanently from any display. This extraordinary and unique artifact needs to be preserved because it is a seminal part of the American story. It is an ‘endangered species’ - no more of its kind exist. It exists today because of previous responsible ownership and respect for the object and its legacy. It is part of America’s publicly held cultural property, and the current museum policy of annual extended display is both irresponsible and short sighted."
07-18-2013, 04:15 PM
There are so many issues regarding conservation, preservation, etc. My own personal belief is that there is a great responsibility to conserve and protect a relic of great historic value, such as the coat or pillow. But I also feel that, taking the utmost care, these relics should be shared, at the least, on a limited basis.

There should be a rotation to bring items out of storage, even if it's just for a very brief period. That would allow for an updated inspection, and re-evaluation of display and storage techniques.
07-18-2013, 04:54 PM
Of course, in the museum field, it is drilled into your head that all things should be properly conserved/preserved. In the case of fabrics, especially, every touch can do damage. As long as fabrics or objects are in good condition and can withstand public display, I would agree with Jim. However, there comes a point where something as valuable as this coat (BECAUSE it is unique to even Lincoln's history - i.e. not just any coat that he wore) deserves a rest.

There are many times when I get the impression that the average museum visitor wants an idea of what the coat looked like when Lincoln wore it -- not what it looks like today. Here at Surratt House, they have certainly been more impressed with the reproduction outfits that our guides always wear than with some aged originals that we have periodically displayed. One has to be a devotee of historical artifacts and clothing to truly get the thrill of seeing an original item. That's just my opinion...
07-21-2013, 08:23 PM
That coat floored me when I saw it in the old Ford's Theatre museum. If my memory serves--It was on display in the middle of the room in a tall glass box and you could walk around it 360 degrees.

I understand that the coat is fragile but it would be a real shame if it is permanantly locked away in storage for no one to see. I don't understand its value if not for the world to see. That would be like removing the Mona Lisa from public viewing for all time. It doesn't make any sense to me.

((( | '€ :} |###] -- }: {/ ]
07-21-2013, 08:41 PM (This post was last modified: 07-21-2013 08:42 PM by LincolnMan.)
This reminds me of the ongoing effort to preserve Michigan Union Flags from the Civil War. Funds are being collected but the work is very expensive. Some of the flags are very tattered. They are being stored properly in a temperature controlled area in the State Capitol Lansing. I am told that the preservation process is pain-staking. Tours to see the flags are by being conducted by request. The flags, like Lincoln's coat, are treasures. When I had a tour of the flags-some of them were shredded from bullets having gone through them. Some of them were even blood-stained. All preservation of such important historical items need support. Hopefully, the Lincoln coat will be saved-and possibly displayed on some basis.

Bill Nash
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
07-22-2013, 04:46 PM
URL=http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/33/ywm2.jpg/][Image: ywm2.jpg][/URL]

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

This picture of the Brooks Brothers greatcoat is courtesy of photographer Carol M. Highsmith.

Credit line: Carol M. Highsmith's America, Library of
Congress, Prints and Photographs Division.
07-23-2013, 07:48 AM
Is the picture actually Lincoln's coat or a replica?

Bill Nash
07-23-2013, 08:45 AM
(07-23-2013 07:48 AM)LincolnMan Wrote:  Is the picture actually Lincoln's coat or a replica?

It's the real thing!
07-23-2013, 10:45 AM
Out of curiosity, is there any record as to how many hours of hand labor were required to do that quilting?
07-23-2013, 11:49 AM
Nice. Thanks posting the pic!

Bill Nash
07-23-2013, 08:07 PM
Wonderful photo of that spectacular quilted coat lining! Thanks so very much!

"The Past is a foreign country...they do things differently there" - L. P. Hartley
07-23-2013, 09:47 PM
First I want to thank you Reignette for a great photo of Lincoln's coat. Next I have mixed feelings on the showing of the coat. One I think all measures should be taken to preserve this coat and its history, but I also agree that removing the coat from the public forever to keep it preserved is wrong. What or who would you be saving it for? I think like any other work of art or other piece of history they are meant to be viewed by the people so they can see actual history. I will admit I have know knowledge about the different processes that are used to preserve pieces of history but I find it hard to believe that in this day and age there are not people who have the ability to preserve history in a way that they can be preserved and viewed at the same time. Then again maybe it is just wishful thinking on my part. Best Gary
07-24-2013, 09:41 PM
(07-23-2013 10:45 AM)L Verge Wrote:  Out of curiosity, is there any record as to how many hours of hand labor were required to do that quilting?

Very good question, Laurie, and I am glad to provide the answer.

In 1918, on the occasion of Brooks Brothers' centenary, a former seamstress, who described herself as "over seventy years young" informed the clothier that it was she who "had the honor of quilting the linings" of the overcoat [greatcoat] that was made for President Lincoln's second inauguration. "It took me two days of steady work," she said, "not eight hours but ten to complete it, and Brooks Brothers paid me eight dollars for it."