A Great Day
07-13-2013, 04:43 PM
A Great Day
Just had to share that we had a great day of history at Surratt House today. Every July, we offer a weekend of free tours, and this is THE weekend this year. In addition, on Saturdays, we have a Civil War encampment (no battle) with the 3rd U.S. Regular Infantry group giving camp life demonstrations (from carpentry work to medical tents, firing demos and such).

In four hours time, we had 200 visitors visit the camp and also take the house tour -- to rave reviews! It was special to me because I got to reminisce over the thirty-eight years I have been here. One of our former guides (started at age 18) is now married to a member of the 3rd U.S. that she actually met at one of our encampments about twenty-five years ago. Both were here in camp.

Near the end of the day, in walked another former "soldier" that my husband and I had introduced to the field of re-enacting when he was 15 and still too young to carry a weapon. I had not seen him for about thirty years. He was there with his wife and two children.

No sooner had he left than in walked one of the first re-enactors that started our re-enactment programs in 1977. Someone else that I hadn't seen in thirty years. I spent a great deal of my day remembering the many fun times and fine people I have worked with over the years.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
07-13-2013, 05:42 PM
RE: A Great Day
Glad you had a wonderful time at Surratt House today, Laurie!

I well remember the reenactments we used to have in years past - good; VERY good memories! Thanks for all!

"The Past is a foreign country...they do things differently there" - L. P. Hartley
07-13-2013, 10:31 PM
I forgot to add one little tidbit that I learned from the above gentleman who came with his wife and kids. About twenty-five miles from Surratt House - and even closer to the Mudd House - is the county seat of Charles County, Maryland. In 2001, the town was nearly wiped out by an F4 tornado. My daughter's family lives four miles south of the town.

My grandson was not quite one at the time, and my daughter was home alone with him and knew that they were under a tornado warning. She and I held on via telephone through it all, and I could hear the noise through the phone. It sounded like standing behind a Boeing 747 that was revving up to me. Thank god, our connection held, and I knew she was safe when it was over.

The gentleman who visited today, however, is/was a deputy sheriff in Charles County and was assigned to the LaPlata beat. He was on the northern outskirts of the town and was advised to stay in place. He then received notice to head into the heart of town to assess the damage. He told me that his first impression reminded him of a photo that he had seen years ago of the town of Dresden, Germany, after an Allied air strike. He didn't know where to start.

Several people were killed, the Catholic school was leveled, a small grocery store and bank were completely demolished and papers from the bank (not money) were later found in Delaware. Many homes and businesses on one side of town were destroyed as the tornado swept up the right side of main street, crossed U.S. Rt. 301, and continued out of town - leaving the left side of LaPlata practically untouched.

Now for the eerie thing that the deputy sheriff told me today: Late in the afternoon, he was told to search the ruins of one of the businesses on the right side of town that had been nearly demolished. It was a bookbinder's and used book store, and one room still had two walls standing. One wall contained bookcases, but only one book remained on the shelves -- a copy of The Life of Dr. Samuel A. Mudd by Nettie Mudd Monroe signed by numerous Mudd grandchildren! The sheriff took the book from the shelf and later found the store's owner. He asked if he could buy the book, but the owner gave it to him as a memento. Dr. Mudd (or at least one copy of his history) was spared yet again.
07-14-2013, 05:23 AM
(07-13-2013 10:31 PM)L Verge Wrote:  One wall contained bookcases, but only one book remained on the shelves -- a copy of The Life of Dr. Samuel A. Mudd by Nettie Mudd Monroe signed by numerous Mudd grandchildren! The sheriff took the book from the shelf and later found the store's owner. He asked if he could buy the book, but the owner gave it to him as a memento. Dr. Mudd (or at least one copy of his history) was spared yet again.

Laurie, I wonder if these copies are still being sold at the Mudd house? When Vicki and I made our one and only trip to the Mudd home in 1980 we purchased a copy of Nettie's book. On the first page are the signatures of the grandchildren. Here is a scan of how it looks in our book:

[Image: muddgrandchildren1.jpg]
07-14-2013, 12:42 PM
The last I knew, the book is being sold at their museum - however, I doubt that any volumes remain with that many signatures (if any). You have a nice collectible.

And, I've heard your "nice" memory of your visit to the Dr. Mudd House and your experience with one of those grandchildren. An "interesting" person - but definitely worthy of a big thank-you for ramrodding through the preservation and restoration of the Dr. Mudd home.