148 Years Ago Today
07-04-2013, 08:16 AM (This post was last modified: 07-04-2013 08:17 AM by BettyO.)
148 Years Ago Today
Since we're closing in on the execution date - thought I'd pull in some blurbs as to what was going on -

Since it was the 4th - the boys were given their usual hour in the prison yard at the Old Arsenal and perhaps were even given a bit longer to walk around and exercise.

Rath recorded that Powell played a game of quoits with himself and Spangler, "Three Days Previous" which would make the date on the Fourth of July. The other guys probably joined in as well.... Of course, the scaffold hadn't been built yet.

Hartranft states in his Letter Book that they were all given haircuts again on July 3rd..... perhaps in anticipation of the hanging which the Commission knew was imminent and fast approaching....

[Image: nvs9.jpg]

Portsmouth Journal of Literature and Politics July 15, 1865

"The Past is a foreign country...they do things differently there" - L. P. Hartley
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
07-04-2013, 05:29 PM
RE: 148 Years Ago Today
(07-04-2013 08:16 AM)BettyO Wrote:  Since we're closing in on the execution date - thought I'd pull in some blurbs as to what was going on -

Since it was the 4th - the boys were given their usual hour in the prison yard at the Old Arsenal and perhaps were even given a bit longer to walk around and exercise.

Rath recorded that Powell played a game of quoits with himself and Spangler, "Three Days Previous" which would make the date on the Fourth of July. The other guys probably joined in as well.... Of course, the scaffold hadn't been built yet.

Hartranft states in his Letter Book that they were all given haircuts again on July 3rd..... perhaps in anticipation of the hanging which the Commission knew was imminent and fast approaching....

[Image: nvs9.jpg]

Portsmouth Journal of Literature and Politics July 15, 1865

I'm not sure I could 'play' anything knowing I was to hang. Makes you wonder how the human mind and heart copes in times of stress.

‘I’ve danced at Abraham Lincoln’s birthday bash... I’ve peaked.’
Leigh Boswell - The Open Doorway.
http://earthkandi.blogspot.co.uk/
07-04-2013, 05:45 PM (This post was last modified: 07-04-2013 05:46 PM by BettyO.)
RE: 148 Years Ago Today
I think that Lew Powell suspected he would hang - but until they were informed on the morning of the 6th of July, nothing had been settled and perhaps they didn't think about it. Certainly, the other three given the death sentence, Herold, Surratt and Atzerodt, were utterly shocked when the verdict was read to them.

Of course the Commission knew and had known for a few days before hand. But no one was informed until the morning of the 6th. So, released apparently from shackles, the boys were given exercise and enjoyed it on the 4th of July.

"The Past is a foreign country...they do things differently there" - L. P. Hartley