Favorite spots at Gettysburg?
06-27-2013, 09:57 AM
Favorite spots at Gettysburg?
I am thinking of visiting Gettysburg next month. (No, not next week!) If not next month, then maybe in August. Though I live in SW PA, less than four hours' drive from there, it would be my first visit.

Does anybody have any recommendations for "must-see" places? Especially for photography. I would likely spend a whole day there and part of at least one other day.

Thanks.

I have endured a great deal of ridicule without much malice; and have received a great deal of kindness, not quite free from ridicule. I am used to it. (Letter to James H. Hackett, November 2, 1863)
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
06-28-2013, 07:27 PM (This post was last modified: 06-28-2013 07:39 PM by L Verge.)
RE: Favorite spots at Gettysburg?
I have not been to Gettysburg for quite a few years, and cameras and I have never gotten along; so I am not the best one to give advice. Devil's Den and Little Round Top are two of my favorite places. Even though I don't believe in ghosts, I can see where many who do could envision spirits hovering in these spots.

I am a big fan of the wide variety of monuments at Gettysburg, especially the magnificent one from the State of Pennsylvania. Just taking in the wonderful sculptural art of most of those would keep me content.

About thirty years ago, a group of us Surratt chicks stumbled upon an isolated farm run by the NPS, and I think it was near Little Round Top. I never knew the name of it, but I frequently see reference to the Spangler Farm, so that may have been the place. Anyhow, it was a wonderful recreation of an 1863 farm caught in the middle of a great battle. We had been wandering through a wooded area, and all of a sudden we came out into this open area with smoke coming out of the simple house's chimney, etc. The most unusual thing about the farm, however, was that every surrounding tree was inhabited by buzzards. I'm a country girl, but everyone's first instinct was to stop dead (pardon the pun) in our tracks. The story that was told there is that Gettysburg had never had buzzards until the battle. Now, the varmints never leave.

I just saw a listing of special exhibits that are going to be part of the 150 commemoration in the town. One is composed of relics related to the Civil War notables -- Lincoln, Davis, Lee, Grant, Douglass, Clara Barton, and others. I believe that is at the Visitors' Center. Another was a field hospital set-up with displays related to battle injuries, deaths, and mourning. I think that is located elsewhere in the town, but do inquire if interested.

And, of course, you must visit the National Cemetery. Also travel to the town's square to see the Wills House and the Gettysburg Hotel. For lunch or dinner, I would recommend the Dobbin House. It is photogenic also.

I forgot to mention that you are not that far from Frederick, Maryland, when visiting Gettysburg. On your way home, you might want to drop down across the Mason-Dixon Line and visit the sites there for a day: The Monocacy Battlefield, where in 1864, the battle managed to slow Early's invasion of Washington long enough to get reinforcements to D.C.; The National Museum of Civil War Medicine is one of the finest museums around with wonderful scenes from battlefields, etc. If you have the opportunity to get a guided tour, take it. I had one of the best guides I have ever had at any museum -- and trust me, I am a tough critic (but polite and keep my thoughts to myself).

The Barbara Fritchie Home made famous in the legend of the elderly woman who protected the Union flag is in Frederick also as is the grave of Francis Scott Key, if you want to throw in the War of 1812. Roger B. Taney's home and law office is there, but I'm not sure if it is open on a regular basis. There is also a gorgeous antebellum home, Rose Hill Manor, that is now a museum. I believe that they may specialize in children's history of the 1800s.

That should be enough to tire you out.
Find all posts by this user
06-28-2013, 08:42 PM
And - a stop at the Farnsworth House in the middle of town is well worth the visit! It's a great bed and breakfast (and they have ghost stories and a theatre in the basement!) and the very best bookstore in Gettysburg! It's definitely a worthwhile see if not stay. They also serve a fabulous dinner as well!

"The Past is a foreign country...they do things differently there" - L. P. Hartley
06-28-2013, 08:53 PM
I should have also mentioned that the rail station where Lincoln arrived has been restored for several years and is near the town square.
06-29-2013, 08:22 AM
I went up to Gburg with the Surratt Society in 2006 or so on the coldest day I ever remember. Made a norther in Oklahoma seem warm. Second time I had been there and we had a step-on guide who was great.

I found the view of Devil's Den From Little Round Top to be riveting. I also enjoyed a mural on a building or wall but I cannot remember where--in town or to the NW. It portrayed the attack of Avery's NC Brigade against the XI Corps and it was painted in such a fashion that you as the viewer felt you were right in the middle of the NC charge.

I think the house Laurie was referring to is the Throstle House, where the 9th NY Btry was wrecked in the second day's battle while delaying the Confed attack.

I also liked the panorama in the Visitor's Center. Good place to day-dream at.

One needs to pause and think and imagine everywhere one goes. I could feel and see the fighting. The stuff in town is great, but I am a battlefield buff. Actually I am a Civil War nut--a step above a buff. I used to be able to tell you what regiments were in which brigade and in which division. I see a lot of things differently. Read anything I have written and you will see what I mean.
06-29-2013, 01:31 PM
Since we're talking about Gettysburg with one day left in June, I'd like to ask that all readers take time to remember the 150th commemoration of both that horrific battle and also of the 150th anniversary of the fall of Vicksburg, both of which occurred at the same time and both of which signaled the beginning of the end for the Confederacy. I's most critical drive into the North was stopped, and the Mississippi River was now under control of the Union. Four crucial days on land and water.
06-29-2013, 10:41 PM
Thanks, everybody.

I have endured a great deal of ridicule without much malice; and have received a great deal of kindness, not quite free from ridicule. I am used to it. (Letter to James H. Hackett, November 2, 1863)
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
06-30-2013, 07:43 AM
We "Surratt chicks" used to go to Gettysburg every year for the festivities -- and I still go occasionally - it's a wonderful place to soak up history....

There are also some wonderful FREE apps for your smart phones and iPad - online and at the Apple Store - including tours and interactive maps.

http://www.gettysburg.edu/news_events/pr...id=3427587

"The Past is a foreign country...they do things differently there" - L. P. Hartley
07-03-2013, 11:49 AM
I saw this commentary this morning about Joshua Lawrence Chamberlain and his heroic deeds at Little Round Top and how it can apply to our lives today. I hope you don't mind that I post it here:

"In great deeds, something abides."

On the 25th anniversary the Battle of Gettysburg, then Brig. Gen. Joshua Lawrence Chamberlain spoke at the dedication of the monument to the 20th Maine regiment he commanded in the defense of Little Round Top.

"On great fields, something stays."

Hoping to break the spirits of the North after repeated defeats, Gen. Robert E. Lee marched his troops through the Shenandoah Valley and into Pennsylvania. On July 1st, 1863, Lee's advance troops collided with Brig. Gen. John Buford's cavalry in the village of Gettysburg, some 82 miles almost due north of Washington, D.C.

For three blistering days the Confederate army rammed against the center of the Union lines, which had secured higher ground on Cemetery Ridge.

On the far left flank of the Union lines an inexperienced former-professor-*****-lieutenant named Joshua Lawrence Chamberlain took action that changed the course of the entire war. Both Union and Confederate generals understood the strategic key of Little Round Top in the colossal clash of warring Americans.

Chamberlain was ordered to not yield the position, no matter the cost.

Lee sent trusted Gen. James Longstreet and some of his fiercest warriors, the Alabamans, to collapse the left flank of the Union lines. Time after time the southerners whooped their “rebel yell” and charged up the slope, only to be turned back by Chamberlain and his tiny 20th Maine regiment of 358 men.

"Forms change and pass; bodies disappear; but spirits linger, to consecrate ground for the vision-place of souls."

As the Alabamans were preparing another assault, word came to Lt. Chamberlain that most of his men were out of ammunition. Instead of retreating, Chamberlain courageously and unpredictably changed the nature of the battle and helped turn the tide of the war. He ordered his men to fix bayonets. As the Alabamans began their ascent between trees, rocks and bodies, the “Mainiacs” charged down the hill and killed, captured or swept the Alabamans off the hill and won the day.

Chamberlain went on to additional wartime heroism, leading remarkable attacks, even while wounded throughout the Petersburg campaign, eventually becoming a brigadier general. At Appomattox, Gen. Ulysses S. Grant had him receive the Confederate surrender of arms and flags. He eventually served as Governor of Maine and President of Bowdoin College, and received the Medal of Honor for his leadership at Gettysburg.

The Battle of Gettysburg, with its almost 50,000 casualties among northern and southern soldiers, is a testament to the importance of high ground and the unyielding commitment to hold a line.

What lessons can be learned from these heroes past? What ground must we hold or retake?

One hundred fifty years ago today the guns of Gettysburg finally fell silent. Today we are faced with new assaults that threaten our great republic and society. They are brazen and severe. We are in a great battle for our children.

Flanked on every side by addictions to substances and technology, hyper-sexual and violent media, and economic dependence and stagnation, today's youth face unprecedented moral challenges. These are not some imaginary threats that need review by committees or need approval by consensus. They are grinding, rolling battles brought on by individual choice and the dissolution of the nuclear family.

Chamberlain's bold but simple action turned the war. Our tactic is equally unpredictable. It doesn't involve commanding heights, consensus opinion or debates in great halls. No, the battle will turn as we each figuratively "fix bayonets" and commit to lives of greater self-governance. Such choices cannot be forced or mandated, as they are acts of a single soul to live life for the sake of another and for the most noble within us.

"This is the great reward of service. To live, far out and on, in the life of others; this is the mystery of the Christ,--to give life's best for such high sake that it shall be found again unto life eternal."

http://www.deseretnews.com/article/86558...round.html
07-03-2013, 12:03 PM
Short talk about Joshua Chamberlain by motivational speaker Andy Andrews

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T3XagavMnxM

So when is this "Old Enough To Know Better" supposed to kick in?
07-03-2013, 12:16 PM
Chamberlain has always been one of my favorite Gettysburg heroes.

Thanks for the link!

07-03-2013, 01:09 PM
What wonderful sentiments and challenges to us and future generations. Let's hope we can rise to the occasion like our ancestors have done in previous crises.
07-06-2013, 07:59 AM
I remember back in the early 80's one of the Civil War magazines, I can't remember which one, had a big write up on Chamberlain. Part of the story mentioned that two of his granddaughters were still alive. They were both ladies well into their eighties.

Remember, Joshua Chamberlain lived until 1915.

Anyhow, someone from the mag wrote them a letter asking how it felt to have such a famous grandfather, and did Chamberlain ever talk them about his wartime feats when they were children.

With great indignation they replied that they would always remember their grandfather as a kindly man who would take them out and buy them ice cream and pamper them constantly
. And they said there was no way on earth they would want to remember him for being associated with something as horrible as a war!

Talk about two true proper New England Yankee ladies!!
07-06-2013, 09:16 AM
Lots of interesting information and photos here.
07-06-2013, 09:33 AM
Thanks for the info Mr Norton.
My late Uncle Fred graduated from the Yale Law School in 1916.
Now I wonder if he knew Eleanor.