Did Mary Lincoln need committal?
10-03-2013, 12:07 AM
RE: Did Mary Lincoln need committal?
(09-30-2013 04:56 AM)RJNorton Wrote:  
(09-29-2013 07:58 PM)Eva Elisabeth Wrote:  When Robert was ambassador to the UK, most likely he met Queen Victoria? Are there any accounts in this regard?

Eva, I checked Jason Emerson's book, and the answer is yes. When Robert first arrived he went to Windsor Castle and presented his credentials to Queen Victoria and assumed his new post. Jason mentions that the English people as a whole were extremely curious about Robert as (according to one diplomatic historian), "The Lincoln legend had at last reached England." Jason also mentions that Robert and his wife dined with the Queen at Windsor Castle at the time the Lincolns were preparing to leave for America.

Sometime, long ago, I either heard or read that Mary T. Lincoln met Queen Victoria when she was in Europe. There is allegedly a dress in existence which Mary was supposed to have worn when she was presented to Queen Victoria at St. James Court. The dress was later sent to Mary's niece to be used as a wedding dress. However, I cannot find any proof of this story. Maybe someone else will know something about this.

Roger - the "proof" of the story about Mary's dress is from Louisa Todd's wedding announcement from an unknown newspaper which is pasted in her scrapbook. (the scrapbook currently belongs to Louisa's great,great grand daughter). Louisa married Edward Keys in 1876. The article stated that Mary gave the white silk dress to Louisa to wear as her wedding gown, and that it was the dress Mary wore when presented to the court of St. James Palace. There was no mention as to whether or not Mary actually met Queen Victoria. Louisa had the skirt of the gown altered so she could dance while wearing it. Only the skirt remains. It is located at the ALPL.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: Did Mary Lincoln need committal? - Donna McCreary - 10-03-2013 12:07 AM