Did Mary Lincoln need committal?
09-17-2013, 08:24 AM (This post was last modified: 10-22-2013 06:53 PM by Eva Elisabeth.)
RE: Did Mary Lincoln need committal?
(08-27-2013 12:00 PM)RJNorton Wrote:  I hope you like the book, Eva. The book has a unique image I have never seen in another Lincoln book. There was a short period between when the Lincolns moved out of the Globe Tavern and into the home they purchased from the Rev. Charles Dresser. For several months they lived in a frame cottage on Fourth Street. Dr. Evans' book has a sketch of this dwelling. I have never seen the image anywhere else other than Dr. Evans' book.
Today I received the book and there are some pictures in it I've never seen before! BTW, this was one of Mary's residences in Frankfurt, Hotel d'Angleterre (I haven't yet found one of the other, Hotel de Holland). It's the second building from the right:

The "Hotel d'Angleterre" or "Englischer Hof" was built in 1797 by the French archtect Salins de Montfort. Like most surrounding buildings it was partly destroyed in WWII. German philosopher Arthur Schopenhauer lunched everyday at the restaurant of the Englischer Hof for more than thirty years. Here is a picture of the restaurant:

Here is another inside picture:

Since Mary loved shopping, she might frequently have visited Frankfurt's shopping mall #1, the "Zeil". This is a picture, and the very right building is the "Palais Rothschild" (yes, the banker family...):

Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: Did Mary Lincoln need committal? - Eva Elisabeth - 09-17-2013 08:24 AM