Did Mary Lincoln need committal?
09-02-2013, 02:54 PM
RE: Did Mary Lincoln need committal?
Eva and Roger, Re: original transcripts/documents Mary's insanity trial. I just found this.
http://12.218.239.52/newsite//GI_NEWS/ne...-TODD1.pdf

"The Illinois Supreme Court Historic Preservation Commission (ISCHPC) and the ALPLM, who planned the Surratt retrial events, decided the next historic legal case to be retried would be Mary Lincoln’s commitment hearing. While conducting research for the 2012 event, Illinois Supreme Court Justices Anne Burke and Rita Garman discovered that the ALPLM only had copies of the trial transcripts, not the original documents. The originals were held by the Cook County Circuit Clerk’s Office. The ISCHPC approached Brown and suggested that the invaluable original court file for the case be moved to a location where it could best be preserved for future generations. Brown agreed, and will release the court papers to the ALPLM, which specializes in preserving original Lincoln and other state historical documents. Illinois Secretary of State and State Archivist Jesse White has agreed with the move. The Mary Lincoln commitment file has been open to public scrutiny for some time and confidentiality laws no
longer apply.
“As State Archivist, I am proud to be a part of this significant transfer. Preserving the rich history of Illinois is an important priority,” said Jesse White, Illinois Secretary of State and State Archivist. “I am pleased to have the original court papers relating to the sanity trial of Mary Todd Lincoln placed in the Abraham Lincoln Presidential Library and Museum where the expertise of its professionals in preserving documents as old as these is crucial in assuring their availability to future generations."
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: Did Mary Lincoln need committal? - Anita - 09-02-2013 02:54 PM