Did Mary Lincoln need committal?
08-26-2013, 09:35 PM (This post was last modified: 08-26-2013 09:35 PM by Anita.)
RE: Did Mary Lincoln need committal?
Thanks to all who posted here. There are so many issues that touch upon this topic.

In the formal application that Robert filed he stated that his mother, "Mary Lincoln, widow of Abraham Lincoln, deceased, a resident of
Cook county is insane and that it would be for her benefit and for the safety of the community that she should be confined in the Cook County Hospital or the Illinois State Hospital for the Insane."

Did Mary have legal counsel? Was it proved that she was a danger to the community?

Did Robert ask the Edwards if they could care for Mary before he resorted to having her committed?

I don't think there's any doubt Mary needed looking after, but Robert could have handled it better. In the same way Lincoln handled Mary after Willie's death, did he say "mother, if you don't get a grip you'll leave me no choice but to do what I think is best for you which is to confine you for treatment so you can get better."

He could have met her at the hotel and taken her to the courthouse instead of ambushing her there.

But that's what I like to think I would have done. Robert did the best he could given the times, circumstances and who he was.

As for the autopsy, were they routinely done in those days? I don't believe Mary's family would have consented to it, especially Robert.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: Did Mary Lincoln need committal? - Anita - 08-26-2013 09:35 PM