Did Mary Lincoln need committal?
06-15-2013, 09:54 PM
RE: Did Mary Lincoln need committal?
Even Robert Lincoln said that if he had to do it over again, he would not have had his mother committed. However, at the time he made the comment, he too was looking at the situation with hindsight.

In today's world, Mary would not have been committed. However, in her world, I do not think there were many options. Robert was being told by the best in their fields that she was insane. The court found her guilty of insanity. At that point, Robert had two options - place her in a state mental facility or in a private setting. He chose the better of the two options.

I think the real question is "Was she truly crazy?" I do not believe she was. I believe she had tough circumstances, some odd behaviors, and was extremely head-strong. She, like many women in the 19th century, was unfairly treated for being female and misunderstood. Mary was also subjected to the backlash of a 19th century media frenzy. As soon as the newspapers revealed the evil actions of Mary's half-brother David, she was labeled 'crazy.' He was - therefore, she must have been. And the 'vympire press' never let up when it came to Mary. Many historians have commented about the number of members in the Todd family who were 'insane.' Some say as many as 14 members of the Todd clan suffered from mental illness. Interesting, not one historian has been able to name those 14 Todds. I want names! Documentation! Don't just throw out information without proof.

Historians will never agree as to whether or not Mary was crazy - not even on this forum. Jason Emerson believes she, indeed was insane. He makes excellent arguments for his case. While I recognize the behaviors, and admit they were odd, I do not think, and will never think, Mary Lincoln was insane. I do think she may have had a bit of a nervous breakdown.
This is but one of the many debates which makes reading about Mary so much fun.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: Did Mary Lincoln need committal? - Donna McCreary - 06-15-2013 09:54 PM