Robert E Lee The Great Emancipator
06-12-2013, 05:11 PM (This post was last modified: 06-12-2013 05:37 PM by brtmchl.)
RE: Robert E Lee The Great Emancipator
(06-12-2013 07:02 AM)LincolnMan Wrote:  
(06-11-2013 10:43 PM)Thomas Thorne Wrote:  
(06-07-2013 01:30 PM)william l. richter Wrote:  Robert E. Lee: The Great Emanciaptor
How many slaves the Proclamation freed and whether it was legal, do not matter. Lincoln had become an abolitionist. He corrected his legal stance by having Congress pass a proposed Thirteenth Amendment, which ended slavery completely. He was able to do all of this because Robert E. Lee kept the Confederacy alive for two critical years forcing Lincoln to act to deny the South its labor force and the North to accept this reality. In his own way, Lee was the Great Emancipator. He forced Lincoln to act to end slavery to win the war.
It is fascinating how the actions and even the triumphs of famous men and women often produce consequences that would have horrified them. Did Lee ever rue his military successes? Napoleon, who was certainly no Jeffersonian,was described as an "unwitting champion of democracy." Perhaps the ultimate in carrying this line of thought to ridiculousness was Randolph Churchill,the truly obnoxious son of Winston Churchill. Randolph stunned the city fathers of Tel Aviv by suggesting they build a statue of Hitler on the grounds that they owed the existence of Israel to the greatest anti -semite in history.

A comparison of Napoleon, Hitler and Robert E. Lee is instructive. The first two were among the great egomaniacs of history who happily waded thru rivers of blood for their own glory. Lee was raised in the tradition of George Washington which emphasized self abnegation, service to the state and subordination of the military to civil authority.

Perhaps Lee's greatest service to his country was to surrender in 1865 and go home without the slightest desire to renew the contest at some future date. It was better for the United States that Southerners gloried in the Lost Cause than create Confederate Liberation Fronts and either resume the Civil War or engage in the terrorism too often characteristic of people with a national identity but without a country.
Tom

Very much in agreement with your comments, Tom.

I also agree with you Tom

It does make one wonder why the Confederacy did not create Liberation Fronts, resorting in terrorism or small bands continuing to conduct guerrilla warfare like so many South American countries still do today. As well as many liberation movements in the Middle East or Eastern Europe. Does anyone have a thought about this? I find it interesting that a Rebellion wouls just ceas.
Was it the overly generous terms of surrender that Lee accepted from Grant. " To go back home to their families and live in peace. unmolested." And the "Honor" of the time period kept their deal intact?
Was it the sheer devastation that the Southern people were facing from the North's policies after Emmancipation to conquer the South. And the system of "Total War" that was sweeping the South in the wake of Vicksburg?
War it war wearisome?
Was it States Rights? It was difficult for Davis to create a Confedrate Nation while still having one leg tied to States Rights. Was there never a solid ideal of Nationalism? I have heard this arguement before and don't agree with it simply because, Guerrilla bands did not spring up in different areas of the South trying to further the war. I think a Southern Nationalism was present.
Was it General Lee himself? "Obedience to lawful authority is the foundation of manly character," - Robert E. Lee.

Lee resisted calls by some officers to reject surrender and allow small units to melt away into the mountains, setting up a lengthy guerrilla war. He insisted the war was over and energetically campaigned for inter-sectional reconciliation. "So far from engaging in a war to perpetuate slavery, I am rejoiced that slavery is abolished. I believe it will be greatly for the interests of the South."[79] - from wikipedia

I think in the end it was honor. We fought, we did our best, we have accepted defeat, and we will comply with the terms we have made.

Lee was a true leader even after the war. I know that it would have been better for everyone, had Lincoln lived and Lee knew that as well. He spoke often, supporting Johnson's Reconstruction plans knowing that Radical Republicans would hurt the South as we know inevitably happened.

Lee in a letter claimed paternalistic concern for the welfare of freed Southern blacks, stating that "The idea that the Southern people are hostile to the negroes and would oppress them, if it were in their power to do so, is entirely unfounded. They have grown up in our midst, and we have been accustomed from childhood to look upon them with kindness."

" Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the American Government take care of him; better take a closer look at the American Indian." - Henry Ford
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: Robert E Lee The Great Emancipator - brtmchl - 06-12-2013 05:11 PM
RE: Robert E Lee The Great Emancipator - Hess1865 - 06-09-2013, 10:55 PM
RE: Robert E Lee The Great Emancipator - Hess1865 - 06-11-2013, 04:16 PM