Robert E Lee The Great Emancipator
06-10-2013, 08:50 PM (This post was last modified: 06-10-2013 08:53 PM by Rick Smith.)
RE: Robert E Lee The Great Emancipator
(06-10-2013 07:51 PM)L Verge Wrote:  I said that I would not post on this thread again, but I just have to congratulate Rick, brtmchl, and Joe for their great posts. It shows that we ARE all adults here -- well-read, intelligent, and talented in putting knowledge and thoughts in writing that reflect a full understanding of what caused the worst period in American history. Thank you, gentlemen.

Laurie,

That is very kind.

Thank you,

Rick

[quote='Eva Elisabeth' pid='19992' dateline='1370908943']
Liz, IMO comparing evils is more dangerous than useful or enlightening. Evil is evil, but each has unique roots, developements, agony and consequenses. IMO nothing was/is worse than the Holocaust, thus what sense does it make always to compare other evil acts of mankind with it? It could easily lead to a sort of "belittlement" of the latter. If not, what does it help? It is important not to forget, but moreover to look forward, to make people sensitive and aware of doing whatever possible in their life and scope that such will never happen again. And this goes for each single kind of evil, whether you compare them with each other or not.
(I'm sure the Southeners are as tired of carrying slavery as their original sin as I'm of being stigmatised with the Holocaust.)

Eva,

Well done.

Rick
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: Robert E Lee The Great Emancipator - Hess1865 - 06-09-2013, 10:55 PM
RE: Robert E Lee The Great Emancipator - Rick Smith - 06-10-2013 08:50 PM
RE: Robert E Lee The Great Emancipator - Hess1865 - 06-11-2013, 04:16 PM