Robert E Lee The Great Emancipator
06-10-2013, 02:53 PM (This post was last modified: 06-10-2013 03:04 PM by brtmchl.)
RE: Robert E Lee The Great Emancipator
The malaise over slavery followed Lee when he returned to full-time duty in February 1860. As acting head of the Department of Texas he refused to allow that state's secessionists to wrest federal property from him. As the crisis deepened, however, his thinking became increasingly conflicted. Although he did not believe in secession, he also declared that if "the Union can only be maintained by the sword & bayonet … its existence will lose all interest with me." He particularly hoped that Virginia would remain in the Union so that his various loyalties—to country, army, state, and family—could remain intact. Recalled to Washington, he was promoted in March 1861 to full colonel by the new U.S. president, Abraham Lincoln, and once again swore an oath of allegiance to the United States. A few weeks later, Lee was forced to confront his ambivalence when Virginia seceded and he was offered command of Union forces recruited to protect Washington, D.C.

Mary Lee later called the moment "the severest struggle" of her husband's life. Faced with a divided family and the collapse of his career, Lee spent two days consulting scripture and quietly considering his future. On April 20, 1861, he resigned from the U.S. Army, telling friends that he could not participate in an invasion of the South. A few days later he accepted command of Virginia's forces.

the above comes from the Encyclopedia of Virginia.

In this era, States recognized themselves pretty much as their own Countries. Coming together as one in times of war. The government did not have the power it does today or the power that came after the civil war. It would be comparable today in my opinion as the United Nations is today.

There was alot going on at this time besides slavery, and ending slavery wasn't on the table at the beginning of the war. One such example is a view of Northern aggression. The South was heavily dependent on on foreign trade system. Their society was primarily Agricultural and imported most of their manufactured goods from the North and Europe. The North was a growing industrial economy that viewed foreign trade as competition. Trade barriers and tariffs by the North were viewed as hostile and greedy to the Southern economy who depended on exports.

I know people will say that tariifs were instituted years before the War, but it was an issue. Just like The possible spread of slavery to the west after the Mexican War when gold was discovered in California leading to statehood. The Great Compromise, Dredd Scott, Buchanan's inept leadership, The Kansas Nebraska act, John Brown's raid at Harper's Ferry. Slavery was still legal and it wasn't until 1862 that The Emancipation Proclamation freed slaves in states that were engaged in open rebelluion against the Union.

We all remember that scene in from a few good men. Where one Marine said his duty in order were to unit, corps, God, country.
Well, I believe if you asked most of the Southern officers, their beliefs would have been shared as follows: God, Family,State, Union.

We forget that in this time the war wasn't commonly refered to as The Civil War. It was in the North, The War of the Rebellion. And in the South refered to as the War of Northern Aggression. This was an insurgency. The war was primarily a defensive struggle fought in the South.

For a majority of those that fought for the South, they were defending their homes from an invasion. Just as for the North's claim was for Union not slavery. Most Southerners owned no slaves and most slaves lived in small groups rather than on large plantations. But the war evolved into a war about slavery.

For Lee, It was about Virginia. It was about his home.

This is my just my opinion. I think Lee and Lincoln were GREAT men. That can be cherished side by side in history. I understand that others may have different opinions and I welcome that. That is what makes this site great.

" Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the American Government take care of him; better take a closer look at the American Indian." - Henry Ford
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: Robert E Lee The Great Emancipator - Hess1865 - 06-09-2013, 10:55 PM
RE: Robert E Lee The Great Emancipator - brtmchl - 06-10-2013 02:53 PM
RE: Robert E Lee The Great Emancipator - Hess1865 - 06-11-2013, 04:16 PM