Major Rathbone's accomodation in Hannover
06-28-2013, 06:45 PM (This post was last modified: 06-28-2013 07:09 PM by Eva Elisabeth.)
RE: Major Rathbone's accomodation in Hannover
(06-17-2013 03:50 AM)Eva Elisabeth Wrote:  After returning from Hannover I emailed the "Niedersãchsisches Landesarchiv" again, casting my doubts on their former statement and asking for documented evidence. By now I just got the formal answer they will double-check.

Today I received a letter from the director of the “Niedersächsisches Landesarchiv”, Dr. Rügge, saying:
”According to your additional request, I must, much to my regret, revise my staff’s previous statement and inform you that in 1882/1883 no US Consul is recorded in the ‘printed register of foreign consuls in the German Empire, record Hannover 122a, Nr.235.’ I can neither verify nor deny Mr Rathbone had already obtained such a title in the US before.”

To summarize:
-Rathbone is not mentioned in the records of the “Niedersächsisches Landesarchiv”
-in the records of 'assigned consuls to Hannover' filed in the “Stadtarchiv Hannover” the decisive pages (years 1882/1883) are completely missing
-in both, Clara’s and Henry’s, death reports and internment register entries Rathbone’s recorded profession is “Oberst a. D.” (=Major off duty).

I wonder what made him choose Hannover if he didn’t go there for duty. Carlsbad is far away (and Europe’s most interesting places, too). Did he know someone in Hannover?
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: Major Rathbone's accomodation in Hannover - Eva Elisabeth - 06-28-2013 06:45 PM
RE: Major Rathbone's accomodation in Hannover - Hess1865 - 06-05-2013, 08:48 PM
RE: Major Rathbone's accomodation in Hannover - Hess1865 - 10-05-2013, 06:18 PM