IMPORTANT - Beware of Mal/Stealthware
04-27-2013, 09:30 AM (This post was last modified: 04-27-2013 09:37 AM by BettyO.)
IMPORTANT - Beware of Mal/Stealthware
Please be careful and let Roger or myself know -- if anyone downloaded that wonderful font of ALincoln - did you go to the little white and red box to the right to download or the Big Green Arrow.... If you clicked on the little red and white box, you are SAFE....the big green arrow is a different story.

I unfortunately, last night clicked on the big green arrow. There is malware/stealthware attached to that - plus a trojan virus. I should know better, but was preoccupied when I downloaded it and hit the green button - voila! Instant virus!

I was up til midnight cleaning my system and getting rid of it....

Just want folk to be careful of some sites offering "freebies." A lot of dirty stuff like "installers" are packed with them. One doesn't have to have an installer to install a lot of things. That's a dead giveaway usually that there is something tricky hidden in it. I have a minor in IT and like I said, I wasn't paying attention - I'm red faced now! Angry

Be careful out there on the "information highway" - some of the information is suspect -

Roger and I scanned the ALincoln font and you can get it safely here - NO installers included. Simply download the font from this SAFE link and save to the Font folder in Windows. This will NOT work on a MAC, unfortunately.

http://rogerjnorton.com/ALincolnFont.ttf

"The Past is a foreign country...they do things differently there" - L. P. Hartley
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
IMPORTANT - Beware of Mal/Stealthware - BettyO - 04-27-2013 09:30 AM
RE: IMPORTANT - Beware of Mal/Stealthware - Hess1865 - 04-28-2013, 09:35 AM