Possible Naval Yard Bridge photo?
04-23-2013, 05:04 PM
RE: Possible Naval Yard Bridge photo?
(04-23-2013 04:02 PM)L Verge Wrote:  How does this compare with the photos that Heath found?

After giving it a good deal of thought, I believe the photo I posted; this one:

is indeed the "right" way (and not reversed as I hopefully hypothesized.) The main reason that I thought/hoped that the image was mistakenly mirrored was the absence of any land behind the Arsenal where East Potomac Park "should" have been. Laurie suggested that the park wasn't in existence during the 1860's, but the map I was looking at appeared to show it. However, that map:

while old, is not "that old" (it doesn't have a date) as it shows the Tidal Basin. I found this map that pre-dates the Tidal Basin and it does not show East Potomac Park, but rather only a very slim part of land on the west side of the Washington Canal.

So....it appears that "my" photo does indeed show the Long Bridge in the background and not the Naval Yard Bridge.

My theory is even more shot down via this map, which I understand to be the first one ever of DC, printed in 1792. As you can see, the area where the Arsenal is located most certainly does not have any land to the east of it.

Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
Possible Naval Yard Bridge photo? - Rhatkinson - 04-22-2013, 05:30 PM
RE: Possible Naval Yard Bridge photo? - Rhatkinson - 04-22-2013, 09:04 PM
RE: Possible Naval Yard Bridge photo? - Rhatkinson - 04-23-2013, 01:11 PM
RE: Possible Naval Yard Bridge photo? - Rhatkinson - 04-23-2013 05:04 PM