Possible Naval Yard Bridge photo?
04-22-2013, 05:53 PM
RE: Possible Naval Yard Bridge photo?
These are great photos. I especially love the one you took while on Ft. McNair. Great view of the old War College with the cherry trees. As for the other shots, I am the wrong one to ask about any geographical and topographical things. First, are we sure that the buildings are on the Arsenal grounds? What year?

There was no East Potomac Park to my knowledge until the 1970s or later. The current Navy Yard Bridge is actually the third one that I remember in my lifetime. When I was a child, the main street of Anacostia (Good Hope Road/Harrison Street in 1865) went straight to the river's edge and up onto the bridge. It ended more towards the middle of the Navy Yard walls. You can still see the approach to that bridge from the new bridge. The old area just looks like it might have been used for awhile as a boat ramp.

The other thing that makes me leery is the length of that bridge in your photos. It seems way too long to me. But again, I'm not a good one to depend on if you need help identifying photos. I would love to think you have found good ones because I have only seen the one usual one with the guard headquarters in the foreground.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
Possible Naval Yard Bridge photo? - Rhatkinson - 04-22-2013, 05:30 PM
RE: Possible Naval Yard Bridge photo? - L Verge - 04-22-2013 05:53 PM
RE: Possible Naval Yard Bridge photo? - Rhatkinson - 04-22-2013, 09:04 PM
RE: Possible Naval Yard Bridge photo? - Rhatkinson - 04-23-2013, 01:11 PM
RE: Possible Naval Yard Bridge photo? - Rhatkinson - 04-23-2013, 05:04 PM