Henry Clay? Or Abraham Lincoln?
05-15-2013, 08:41 AM
RE: Henry Clay? Or Abraham Lincoln?
(05-14-2013 04:51 PM)Liz Rosenthal Wrote:  Listen, most Americans don't know who the current Supreme Court justices are. A huge number are unaware of major recent Federal enactments. Many don't know who the vice president is. Few are familiar with world geography or even U.S. geography. A large number don't know when the colonies declared their independence from the mother country. (This isn't just young people - this is Americans across the board.) So why should it be surprising that they haven't heard of Henry Clay?

Personally, I'm much more shocked and disappointed when I run into someone who isn't familiar with Rachel Carson.

I do think that is a problem with our educational system today - so many folk are NOT attuned to geography, etc., much less current affairs and/or history. It's just not deemed important, unfortunately! As for Rachel Carson, I've read her Silent Spring years ago in college as well as I like to keep an eye on the Rachel Carson building in Harrisburg PA and watch the live video cam of the Peregrine Falcons which nest there each year.

http://www.dep.state.pa.us/dep/falcon/

They are getting ready to band the chicks soon -

"The Past is a foreign country...they do things differently there" - L. P. Hartley
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
Henry Clay? Or Abraham Lincoln? - ELCore - 04-15-2013, 08:01 AM
RE: Henry Clay? Or Abraham Lincoln? - BettyO - 05-15-2013 08:41 AM