Henry Clay? Or Abraham Lincoln?
04-15-2013, 08:01 AM (This post was last modified: 04-15-2013 08:42 AM by ELCore.)
Henry Clay? Or Abraham Lincoln?
"He loved his country partly because it was his own country, but mostly because it was a free country; and he burned with a zeal for its advancement, prosperity and glory, because he saw in such, the advancement, prosperity and glory, of human liberty, human right and human nature. He desired the prosperity of his countrymen partly because they were his countrymen, but chiefly to show to the world that freemen could be prosperous."

That's from Lincoln's eulogy of his hero Sen. Henry Clay. I can't help but think it applies just as well to Pres. Abraham Lincoln.

Real Lincoln Quotes

"July 6, 1852; Eulogy on Henry Clay; Speeches and Writings, Volume I, page 264; Collected Works, Volume II, page 126; originally in Illinois Weekly Journal, July 21, 1852; Henry Clay was Lincoln's greatest political hero; Lincoln died in Petersen House on this day, April 15, in 1865."

I have endured a great deal of ridicule without much malice; and have received a great deal of kindness, not quite free from ridicule. I am used to it. (Letter to James H. Hackett, November 2, 1863)
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
Henry Clay? Or Abraham Lincoln? - ELCore - 04-15-2013 08:01 AM