McNair - Grant Hall Dedication
04-05-2013, 04:47 PM
RE: McNair - Grant Hall Dedication
(04-04-2013 11:39 AM)Laurie Verge Wrote:  I asked Joan Chaconas of my staff this question since she has worked with historians at Ft. McNair for over thirty years. The building was renamed Ulysses S. Grant Hall a number of years ago in order to save it from possible demolition. Previously, it was just Quarters 20 and then Building 20. They chose Grant as the namesake because the remaining section of the Penitentiary was saved during his administration - other wings, etc. having been demolished. It is easier to save something from destruction if it carries a person's name.

As for the current dedication, it is our understanding that the "Dedication" refers to the preservation of the site as a historical landmark to remind future generations of the significance of the Conspiracy Trial of 1865 - a rather unique circumstance in American history.

The other issue which yhe military is sensative to is when we are on high alert, they shut down the area military bases to anyone wothout specific business. As some here may know, I tried to get on McNair one cold crist Sunday morning last fall. I was told that no civilians were allowed and that no civilians had been allowed on base for the past several years.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
McNair - Grant Hall Dedication - BettyO - 04-04-2013, 10:46 AM
RE: McNair - Grant Hall Dedication - Jim Garrett - 04-05-2013 04:47 PM
RE: McNair - Grant Hall Dedication - Hess1865 - 04-04-2013, 07:53 PM
RE: McNair - Grant Hall Dedication - Hess1865 - 04-06-2013, 11:16 PM