New Book by Ed Steers - "Hoax"
04-06-2013, 09:05 PM
RE: New Book by Ed Steers - "Hoax"
My Grandfather was the US Army Judge Advocate at Hickam Field. On November 12, 1941, my grandmother wrote a letter back to her sister in Washington, D.C. Her last few lines were:

"As I went to the new house today to take a lead of things the enclosure is what greeted me. It made me sick. I don't want to be separated from Neal (my grandfather) above all things, but I guess we have nothing to say about the turn of things. Don't say anything about the enclosure, but I thought you might like to know the way the wind is blowing."

the enclosure was:
HEADQUARTERS HICKAM FIELD
Office of the Commanding Officer

Hickam Field, T.H.
Memorandum:
TO: Officers, Noncommissioned Officers, and their Wives.

GENERAL: Because of the general status of world affairs, it is imperative that all personnel of the army get their affairs into such shape that they can leave their stations on short notice for indefinite periods without hardship to their families. It is also important that heads of families so adjust their current expenses that they have no large outstanding indebtedness and wherever possible a savings account to serve as a back log.
By order of Colonel FARTHING:

I have the letter, enclosure and originl envelope postmarked Novemeber 13, 1942. Hickam Field. I also have an original mimiographed copy of General Order #3, written on December 7, putting the Hawaian Territory under Marshall law.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
New Book by Ed Steers - "Hoax" - Mike B. - 04-03-2013, 09:18 PM
RE: New Book by Ed Steers - "Hoax" - Jim Garrett - 04-06-2013 09:05 PM
RE: New Book by Ed Steers - "Hoax" - HerbS - 04-07-2013, 08:50 AM