Modern day Booth/Herold route
02-27-2013, 09:47 AM
RE: Modern day Booth/Herold route
Well then, I'll just add one more little tidbit to the directions. I found out that the mileage marker you need to look for on the southbound lanes of 301 in order to make the U-turn into the northbound lanes is #122 - it will be on your right. This one little sign could save you from driving miles further.

If you have a burning desire to drive a few more miles south, however, you will reach the town of Bowling Green (avoid the bypass). Right beside the charming old courthouse is a modern brick building (I think a real estate office) that was built on the site of the Star Hotel, where Willie Jett got a rude awakening. If you head back north on 301, you'll be sure to see the Garrett place.

I should also mention that, when you leave Garretts' and head back to the intersection with Route 17 (about two miles), be sure to stop in Horne's at that intersection and pick up pecan logs, moon pies, goo goo clusters, and assorted junk food. They even sell Hershey Ice Cream, one of the treats that Yankee carpetbaggers brought to the South! They have a lunch counter that is always full, about ten old-time booths, and they make great milk shakes using those tall metal glasses and that great old green machine that a lot of us grew up with.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
Modern day Booth/Herold route - Rhatkinson - 02-25-2013, 07:30 PM
RE: Modern day Booth/Herold route - Rhatkinson - 02-25-2013, 07:50 PM
RE: Modern day Booth/Herold route - Rhatkinson - 02-26-2013, 08:42 PM
RE: Modern day Booth/Herold route - Laurie Verge - 02-27-2013 09:47 AM