Elizabeth Keckley's "Behind the Scenes at the Lincoln White House
03-06-2015, 10:15 PM (This post was last modified: 03-06-2015 10:23 PM by LincolnToddFan.)
RE: Elizabeth Keckley's "Behind the Scenes at the Lincoln White House
[Toia, I cried first when learning that her beloved son was killed near the beginning of the Civil War. He had passed for white and enlisted in the Union Army. I have always felt that the loss of children is what forged the friendship between Mrs. Lincoln and Mrs. Keckly. Mrs. Keckly devoted herself to helping the newly freed men and women, and Mrs. Lincoln never gets the credit I think she deserves for helping in that cause also.]// quote Laurie

I could not possibly agree more. Keckly treasured her only boy, despite the traumatic manner in which she became pregnant with him. Poor Lizzie. Poor George.

President Lincoln had a lot of respect for her. According to Keckly he always referred to her as "Madame Elizabeth"...quite remarkable for a woman of color who was also a servant. And I suspect he was also grateful to her for the companionship and comfort she gave his wife.

She donated many Lincoln artifacts to Wilberforce University...for example AL's hairbrush and a quilt from his bed. But I think they might have been lost or destroyed in a fire.

I was under the impression that Keckley's remains were lost after the cemetery in which she was buried was closed. I am SO happy to learn that she was found and is being given the honor and respect that she deserves. Rankin Barbee made some unprintable comments about this remarkable lady. I will not even bother wasting more time on him.

THANK YOU RICH SMYTH!! And a BIG thank you to Susan for the amazing photos!
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: Elizabeth Keckley's "Behind the Scenes at the Lincoln White House - LincolnToddFan - 03-06-2015 10:15 PM