Elizabeth Keckley's "Behind the Scenes at the Lincoln White House
04-13-2013, 03:35 PM (This post was last modified: 04-14-2013 10:22 AM by Christine.)
RE: Elizabeth Keckley's "Behind the Scenes at the Lincoln White House
I just finished "Mrs Lincoln's Dressmaker" by Jennifer Chiaverini. I had heard about Elizabeth Keckley briefly (mostly from Laurie and others who helped raise funds for her monument), so I really enjoyed the book. However, one complaint I have (I sometimes think I sound like a broken record) while it is billed on the cover as a 'novel' I was frustrated with the lack of resource material. She did cite a few books, but I think when you write a 'novel' about real people, and use real events, the author should cite the source for those 'real' events!

For instance, in the book she said that Mary Lincoln gave Elizabeth many items (among them gloves worn by President Lincoln at his 2nd Inaugeration, the cloak he was wearing the night he was assassinated, etc). I would have liked the author to say whether that was true or not, and reference the source for that information. If it was Mrs. Keckley's book, I would have liked to know that, too.

Am I too picky? Smile
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: Elizabeth Keckley's "Behind the Scenes at the Lincoln White House - Christine - 04-13-2013 03:35 PM