I think I might have a title...now I need a book
07-14-2012, 10:14 PM
RE: I think I might have a title...now I need a book
I got too engrossed in Ida Tarbell's papers, and I completely forgot about Hertz. Here is what I wrote about Hertz reviewing The War Years.

Angle fired off a letter to Sandburg, which prompted Sandburg to quip “The news that little Manny is executing gyrations in a journal of professional historians is not astonishing tho it is slightly surprising. That this journal should pan THE WAR YEARS as it likewise did THE PRAIRIE YEARS is not so peculiar. But that an irresponsible reprobate, so widely known as such, should do the job, is one more laugh in this whimsical and temperamental realm of Lincolniana. That the irony of it should not occur to those responsible for it is a token and symptom of something.”
Randall told Angle he felt exactly the same way. He was shocked by “Cole’s somewhat amazing selection of Hertz to review Sandburg.” In an attempt to rationalize Cole’s decision, Randall wrote “Sandburg himself being no scholar, he does not rate being reviewed by a scholar; ergo Hertz might as well be chosen as anybody. Of course this is hooey. I simply cannot understand Cole’s action.”

Best
Rob

Abraham Lincoln in the only man, dead or alive, with whom I could have spent five years without one hour of boredom.
--Ida M. Tarbell

I want the respect of intelligent men, but I will choose for myself the intelligent.
--Carl Sandburg
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: I think I might have a title...now I need a book - Rob Wick - 07-14-2012 10:14 PM