Baptist Alley and preservation
02-14-2013, 11:51 PM
RE: Baptist Alley and preservation
(02-14-2013 06:06 PM)L Verge Wrote:  Remember that there were alley dwellers in Baptist Alley. One, Mary Ann Jackson (am I right on that name?), gave testimony.

I'm guessing you mean Mary Jane Anderson. She's one of my favorite assassination characters. I'm fascinated by the "regular people" who found themselves in some way connected to this great crime. Once in a while, I'll find myself just thinking about Ms. Anderson, sitting on her porch on Baptist Alley...seeing Booth go into the theater, then later seeing him tear out the back door, jump on his horse and make that first mad dash out of the city. In those moments, she would have no way of knowing exactly what she had just witnessed, the significance of it, or that we'd be talking about her all these years later. The thought of sitting on that porch and watching the first moments of Booth's getaway after shooting Lincoln, literally has the hair on my arms doing a little dance right now. Lucinda Holloway is another "regular" person I'm fascinated by. How could she have ever imagined that she would have wound up there on the porch of the Garrett house, comforting Lincoln's assassin in his last moments. These are the things that make me wonder why movie makers don't just take the time to get it right. History has plenty of excitement, it doesn't need to be embellished.

"The interment of John Booth was without trickery or stealth, but no barriers of evidence, no limits of reason ever halted the Great American Myth." - George S. Bryan, The Great American Myth
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
Baptist Alley and preservation - mgambuzza - 02-13-2013, 11:58 AM
RE: Baptist Alley and preservation - jonathan - 02-14-2013 11:51 PM