A Different Viewpoint of Lew Powell's Character
07-16-2012, 12:02 PM (This post was last modified: 07-16-2012 12:08 PM by BettyO.)
RE: A Different Viewpoint of Lew Powell's Character
(07-16-2012 11:47 AM)L Verge Wrote:  Even though the Surratts were Catholics, I suspect that Lewis felt that a preacher (albeit a Baptist one) would get more respect - and possibly protection - from that household. Just a guess...

I certainly agree, Laurie. Even though he was passing as a Baptist minister, he more than likely thought it would garner more respect and he would not be questioned as closely. He DID state that he had been in jail in Baltimore and was going to become a "good citizen." HA! That was a reflection on his jail spiel after he beat up Annie the maid - apparently the boy had a rather cocky sense of humor....

(07-16-2012 11:58 AM)Gene C Wrote:  The Baptist minister ruse, was not very convincing...Anna and some of the other members of the household thought he made a strange Baptist minister.

Again, his ruse while perhaps respectable and gentlemanly, didn't hold too much water after he picked up a pack of the "Devil's Calling Cards" (playing cards) and began to play Euchre with Anna and the lady boarders! This was something which a legitimate Baptist minister of the time would certainly eschew. One of Lew Powell's comrades in the 2nd Florida had stated that although Lew Powell was not addicted to drink and rarely did so, he was extremely fond of card playing...so apparently the Reverend Paine forgot himself and decided to have a little fun at card playing with the ladies. I have found other instances where, like all young men even today, he was also extremely fond of music. He requested Anna to play the piano for him and also had young ladies play the piano for him when he was serving with Mosby's Rangers and stopped at various farm houses as a guest.

"The Past is a foreign country...they do things differently there" - L. P. Hartley
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: A Different Viewpoint of Lew Powell's Character - BettyO - 07-16-2012 12:02 PM