A Different Viewpoint of Lew Powell's Character
07-16-2012, 07:09 AM (This post was last modified: 07-16-2012 07:20 AM by BettyO.)
RE: A Different Viewpoint of Lew Powell's Character
(07-16-2012 06:53 AM)Craig Hipkins Wrote:  Since we are talking about Powell alias' does anyone know why Powell used the name Rev. Wood when he boarded at the Surratts?

Craig

Powell's dad was a Baptist minister - he himself had aspirations to the ministry had not the war began . At age 15, young Powell had taught Sunday School classes in his father's church up until his enlistment at age 17.

He apparently thought that the "minister" ruse would work for him as he knew how a minister should conduct himself properly. Why the name Wood? It's anyone's guess. As far as I know there was no "Wood" in Mosby's Rangers. For some reason, Powell liked to use aliases affiliated with his service with Mosby. I assume that he was just using his imagination here. As an agent, he used different aliases. He also didn't want authorities to latch onto him. In lieu of his arrest in March in Baltimore on which his Oath had a proclamation that he should remain "North of Philadelphia" for the duration of the war, Powell was subject to arrest for violating his parole. It's my understanding that the first night he went to Surratt's in February of 1865, he went as MR. Wood and then returned a few weeks later, about the 14th of March as REV Paine.....

"The Past is a foreign country...they do things differently there" - L. P. Hartley
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: A Different Viewpoint of Lew Powell's Character - BettyO - 07-16-2012 07:09 AM