Is this political correctness run amok?
02-07-2013, 03:00 PM
RE: Is this political correctness run amok?
To me, this is an issue that will never be settled without more animosity separating our country yet again. My home county in Maryland has gone through this issue in the renaming of some schools. An elementary school here was Lord Baltimore (in honor of the founding family of Maryland) for over thirty years until it was changed to honor a county council member who was killed in a car accident while undergoing investigation for misuse of county funds. Another school was named Roger B. Taney until the political correctness issue forced it to be renamed Thurgood Marshall.

Chief Justice Taney's statue in Annapolis has been targeted for removal. While we all understand the rancor he caused with the Dred Scott Decision, he was also known as one of the best jurists in our history because of other ground-breaking work.

I think my main concern is where does this end? Do we eventually just remove all references to slavery and the Civil War because they are reminders of something evil - just like some want to deny that the Holocaust ever existed? Will the protestors start to concentrate on other areas of history that need to be "sanitized?"

P.S. The move to rename the Washington Redskins has started again.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: Is this political correctness run amok? - Laurie Verge - 02-07-2013 03:00 PM
RE: Is this political correctness run amok? - Hess1865 - 02-08-2013, 02:16 PM
RE: Is this political correctness run amok? - Hess1865 - 02-08-2013, 05:28 PM