Trivial Trivia - taking trivia to new levels
04-20-2018, 06:37 PM (This post was last modified: 04-20-2018 06:41 PM by AussieMick.)
RE: Trivial Trivia - taking trivia to new levels
(04-20-2018 06:07 PM)Steve Wrote:  
(04-20-2018 05:45 PM)AussieMick Wrote:  It was "Zulu", Roger.

And, yes, Steve, absolutely correct. In fact , "All Sir Garnet" as they used to say in the British Army meaning 'Everything is correct' (he was apparently a stickler for efficiency ... but I'd have another name for him because I think he was a nasty piece of work ... still, I guess it was different times then).

He wrote a book on the Civil War. Full of his own Brit opinions ... but, maybe, thats what many of those books are.

I wouldn't have been able figure it out without Roger knowing what Michael Caine film was being referred to.

He was (IMO) a typical Brit officer. Born in Ireland he was more British than someone born in England, falling over himself to show what a good loyal Brit he was and steeped in military warfare (Fort Pillow ? nothing unusual happened there, old boy!).
He did change his views later , but he was still obnoxious IMO.
From the Introduction of his book ...
He ‘saw the Confederate struggle as one for country and liberty, and advantageous to England and Europe in cutting down to size the arrogant American republic.’
The American Civil War : An English View
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: Trivial Trivia - taking trivia to new levels - AussieMick - 04-20-2018 06:37 PM