Trivial Trivia - taking trivia to new levels
12-19-2017, 07:53 PM (This post was last modified: 12-19-2017 07:59 PM by L Verge.)
RE: Trivial Trivia - taking trivia to new levels
Congratulations to both Roger and our Australian compatriot. Richard Lawrence is correct - the gentleman who attempted to kill Andrew Jackson.

(12-19-2017 06:33 PM)Gene C Wrote:  [size=small]"Throughout the trial and up until his execution, Guiteau was housed at St. Elizabeths Hospital in the southeastern quadrant of Washington, D.C. (Wikipedia)

However, the next sentence in the article seems to contradict that.
" While in prison and awaiting execution, Guiteau wrote a defense of the assassination he had committed and an account of his own trial, which was published as The Truth and the Removal." (Wikipedia)

An article in Mental Floss indicates Guiteua didn't (did not) spend any time there at St. Elizabeth's. (outpatient only ?)

Forrestal was just a guess. Interesting case though.

Just skimmed the case of James Forrestal. Very interesting, but it appears that Truman drove him to madness by downsizing our military and refusing to consider the Soviet threat. Shades of a recent President I could mention...

(12-19-2017 04:54 PM)AussieMick Wrote:  The question related to famous inmates. So I think Augustus Owsley Stanley III meets that bill. He invented (?) the drug LSD and , I guess, may have caused the deaths of quite a few people. He died in Australia.

But as for a wannabe , I'd say Mussolini is the guy. Some of his brain tissues were sent to the hospital for research and later returned to Italy. Dunno if that counts as being an inmate.

How is the first USA saint connected, in an Anthroponomastics sort of way (yeah, I had to look the word up), to the assassination of Lincoln?

The connection is indirect but you'll know it when you see it.

I'm not sure how she is connected to Lincoln's assassination, but Elizabeth Ann Seton founded the Sisters of Charity (who educated Mary Surratt) and who served nobly as nurses during the Civil War. Could there be a connection with Booth in that he was a Know Nothing, who supposedly disliked the Catholic movement (and yet had Catholic friends and conspirators)?
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: Trivial Trivia - taking trivia to new levels - L Verge - 12-19-2017 07:53 PM