Trivial Trivia - taking trivia to new levels
08-03-2016, 06:17 PM
RE: Trivial Trivia - taking trivia to new levels
Homer Bates

"Stanton had a deserved reputation for irascibility but he also had a softer side, as revealed by an incident reported by Homer Bates, who worked in the War Department’s telegraph office: “One evening, in the summer of 1864, I rode out to the Soldiers Home with important dispatches for the President and Secretary of War, who were temporarily domiciled with their families on the grounds of the Home. I found Stanton reclining on the grass, playing with Lewis, one of his children ..He invited me to a seat on the greensward while he read the telegrams; and then, business being finished, we began talking of early times in Steubenville, Ohio, his native town and mine. One of us mentioned the game of ‘mumble-the-peg,’ and he asked me if I could play it. Of course I said yes, and he proposed that we should have a game then and there. Stanton entered into the spirit of the boyish sport with great zest , and for the moment all the perplexing questions of the terrible war were forgotten. I do not remember who won.'”9" http://www.mrlincolnswhitehouse.org/resi...1814-1869/
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: Trivial Trivia - taking trivia to new levels - Anita - 08-03-2016 06:17 PM