Trivial Trivia - taking trivia to new levels
10-12-2015, 01:19 PM
RE: Trivial Trivia - taking trivia to new levels
Hi Eva,

This was a great topic and an excellent trivia question!

Stonewall Jackson has always been a favorite general of mine. Last summer I visited Chancellorsville where Jackson was wounded, and then the home where he died at Guinea Station, VA. I thought I would share with you what I learned about Stonewall Jackson and his "obsession" with lemons.

Although Stonewall Jackson was known to have eccentric qualities, the story that lemons where his favorite fruit may not be entirely true. Since fruit was not abundant for the army during the war, any fruits that were acquired (even lemons) were welcomed. It is true that Jackson was observed eating lemons on several occasions during the war; this was only due to the fact that he ate whatever fruit was available. At times lemons were the only fruit available, so although Jackson did eat lemons, his favorite fruit was actually peaches!

It has also been said that Jackson was concerned about his health and followed a strict diet. Although he enjoyed almost every variety of fruit, he had no special fondness for lemons. He also believed foods that tasted bad, were good for him; since lemons are sour he might have believed this fruit was very good for him.

Today, people who visit Jackson's memorial take him lemons because they believe it was his favorite fruit. Although I have never visited Jackson's memorial, when I do, I will take him a peach!
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: Trivial Trivia - taking trivia to new levels - PaigeBooth - 10-12-2015 01:19 PM