Trivial Trivia - taking trivia to new levels
02-07-2015, 05:58 PM
RE: Trivial Trivia - taking trivia to new levels
Oh my...I finally looked up this gentleman with your first guess. I didn't understand. Now I get it!

You win, Eva! Also, Kathy is a winner! Both of you will be sent an ax, but please be careful so you won't need Dr. Houmes' services.

Henry Knight recalled the incident as follows:

Those who may have been in the old War Department may remember that there were two short flights of stairs which had to be ascended in order to reach the second floor. At the head of the first flight was a platform or landing, and here the non-commissioned officer in charge of the guard had a desk and chair. Mr. Lincoln had to pass me whenever he came up these stairs, and as he did so I always arose, and, taking off my hat, remained standing till he passed. The taking-off of the hat was a mark of personal respect simply, for no soldier on duty, under any circumstances, is required to raise his hat.

On one occasion, Mr. Lincoln, who always had a pleasant "Good-evening," and sometimes stopped to pass a word or two, hesitated on this landing, and, looking at the wall, where hung a pair of axes to be used in case of fire, asked what they were there for. I replied that they were to be used in case of fire.

"Well, now," said he, "I wonder if I could lift one of those axes up by the end of the handle?" and, suiting the action to the word, he took one down, and, laying the heavy end on the floor, he commenced raising it till he held it out at arm's length, and kept it there several seconds.

"I thought I could do it," he said, as he put it down. "You try it."

I did try it, and failed. Mr. Lincoln laughed, and as he passed on he said: "When I used to split rails, thirty years ago in Illinois, I could lift two axes that way; and I believe I could do it now, and I will try
it some other time."

Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: Trivial Trivia - taking trivia to new levels - RJNorton - 02-07-2015 05:58 PM