Trivial Trivia - taking trivia to new levels
01-31-2014, 10:03 AM
RE: Trivial Trivia - taking trivia to new levels
I'm sorry to be late checking in this morning. Great job, Anita, you got what I thought would be an impossible piece of trivia to decipher.

It does come from Frederick Douglass' description of his childhood competition with the dog, Old Nep, for scraps of food. The full title of our program is "Fighting Old Nep: The Food Culture of Enslaved Afro-Marylanders." As many of you know, Southern cuisine (especially) has been heavily influenced by the culinary history brought to America from civilizations in western and central Africa from our colonial days.

Our presenter for this is Michael Twitty, who is doing something called a Southern Discomfort Tour. He travels from Maryland across the South in search of his genealogical roots as well as regional cuisine related to those roots. I love the analogy of the term "Discomfort" -- disturbing to learn the history, and uncomfortable to eat some of the foods (heavy in fiber and thus causing bloating and other intestinal discomfort).
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: Trivial Trivia - taking trivia to new levels - L Verge - 01-31-2014 10:03 AM