Booth's mistress, Ella Starr, and other "unknown" Booth ladies!
10-15-2019, 10:47 PM
RE: Booth's mistress, Ella Starr, and other "unknown" Booth ladies!
Quote:I haven't found a probate for Mrs Ellen Starr who died in 1896. If Ella is still living I should think she might be mentioned in any will that her mother had, especially since her brother and sister are deceased. It would be good to have the will and probate information even if Ella isn't mentioned!

According to the records set to me by The James O. Hall Research Library, this following is said:

"Mrs. Ellen F. Starr has no record of a will in Baltimore City. No administration was granted for a will of hers. (Microfilm) CR 10683 (index to Baltimore City administrations, 1895-1865

Also checked:
Balt. City wills, TWM 159 (1896)
TWM 160 (1896)
TWM 161-162 (1896-1897)"

This was research done at the Maryland Hall of Records on January 22, 1988 by Mr. Hall. I hope that helps in regards to Mrs. Starr's will... thus far it seems she did not leave one.

Quote:Jenny,

As an aside, back at the beginning of this thread in your initial discussion of Ella there was this:

"Mother Starr ended up back in Baltimore, where she worked for a Catholic school. In 1888, she deeded a lot in the New Cathedral Cemetery to "my daughter Ellie..." Nellie must have been still alive and around somewhere, but I don't think anyone has found her. Mr. Hall speculated that she changed her name to Nellie LaRue and was operating a house in her old DC haunts in the early-1870s, but couldn't prove the link. He did locate the name of a niece, Mary Virginia Treakle, who married a Giles Bartlett in Huron, Ohio, in 1873, and had two children."
The Nellie LaRue mentioned, and the only Nellie LaRue I found, was in the 1880's and 1890's. She died in 1899, and her death notice reveals she was Mary (Williams? Rue, wife of Manning F. Rue.

I'm only mentioning this stuff, for which I have census records, etc., to take Nellie Larue out of the possibilities for Ella Starr/Nellie Turner.

Mr. Hall hypothesized the possible "Nellie LaRue" connection, but it never rang true to me. Regardless, excellent detective work on ruling her out!

Do you have a source for the John W. Starr divorce from "Marie Antoinette?" I would love to add it to my Starr family tree!

Also regarding Mary Jane's daughter, Alice Teresa, her last name was just plain Jenkins, not McJenkins. If it says "McJenkins" in Mary Jane's will, it must have been misspelled.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: Booth's mistress, Ella Starr, and other "unknown" Booth ladies! - Jenny - 10-15-2019 10:47 PM