Booth's mistress, Ella Starr, and other "unknown" Booth ladies!
10-11-2019, 12:12 PM (This post was last modified: 10-11-2019 12:18 PM by Steve Whitlock.)
RE: Booth's mistress, Ella Starr, and other "unknown" Booth ladies!
(10-11-2019 02:07 AM)Jenny Wrote:  ... darn it, I need to have a word with TinyPic. I will try to get all the info I’ve posted back up tomorrow.

Some great finds, Steve W.!

I actually wonder about the Nellie Starr who was involved in the murder of a town marshal in Baxter Springs, KS. I believe Steve found the article a while back and I called the Baxter Springs Museum, but unfortunately they never got around to sending me any info I requested. Sad

Jenny,

I imagine you are referring to:

Nellie Star

in the 1870 United States Federal Census

Name: Nellie Star
Age in 1870: 24
Birth Year: abt 1846
Birthplace: Canada
Dwelling Number: 25
Home in 1870: Baxter Springs Ward 1, Cherokee, Kansas
Race: White
Post Office: Lostine
Father of Foreign Birth: Y
Mother of Foreign Birth: Y
Personal Estate Value: 100
Household Members:
Name Age
Nellie Star 24 [Keeping brothel – Madam]
Carrie Star 19 [Prostitute b: Canada]
Lena Bay 19 [Prostitute b: OH]
Nellie Hide 26 [Prostitute b: KY]
The 2nd article, the shooting of the marshal, mentions Nellie was from Kansas City. Carrie Starr appears to be a sister to this Nellie Starr, but that could just be an alias, with both ladies showing a Canada birth.

There are also a couple of Ella Turner prostitution articles that may, or not, have significance.

I haven't found a probate for Mrs Ellen Starr who died in 1896. If Ella is still living I should think she might be mentioned in any will that her mother had, especially since her brother and sister are deceased. It would be good to have the will and probate information even if Ella isn't mentioned!

(10-11-2019 12:12 PM)Steve Whitlock Wrote:  
(10-11-2019 02:07 AM)Jenny Wrote:  ... darn it, I need to have a word with TinyPic. I will try to get all the info I’ve posted back up tomorrow.

Some great finds, Steve W.!

I actually wonder about the Nellie Starr who was involved in the murder of a town marshal in Baxter Springs, KS. I believe Steve found the article a while back and I called the Baxter Springs Museum, but unfortunately they never got around to sending me any info I requested. Sad

Jenny,

I imagine you are referring to:

Nellie Star

in the 1870 United States Federal Census

Name: Nellie Star
Age in 1870: 24
Birth Year: abt 1846
Birthplace: Canada
Dwelling Number: 25
Home in 1870: Baxter Springs Ward 1, Cherokee, Kansas
Race: White
Post Office: Lostine
Father of Foreign Birth: Y
Mother of Foreign Birth: Y
Personal Estate Value: 100
Household Members:
Name Age
Nellie Star 24 [Keeping brothel – Madam]
Carrie Star 19 [Prostitute b: Canada]
Lena Bay 19 [Prostitute b: OH]
Nellie Hide 26 [Prostitute b: KY]
The 2nd article, the shooting of the marshal, mentions Nellie was from Kansas City. Carrie Starr appears to be a sister to this Nellie Starr, but that could just be an alias, with both ladies showing a Canada birth.

There are also a couple of Ella Turner prostitution articles that may, or not, have significance.

I haven't found a probate for Mrs Ellen Starr who died in 1896. If Ella is still living I should think she might be mentioned in any will that her mother had, especially since her brother and sister are deceased. It would be good to have the will and probate information even if Ella isn't mentioned!

Anyone who would like a copy of the will for Mary Jane Treakle, aka Mollie Turner, please email me at ctn59880@centurytel.net and I'll send the 3 pages as attachments. I can't get it to post here, and would rather not keep pestering Roger.

Attached File(s) Thumbnail(s)

Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: Booth's mistress, Ella Starr, and other "unknown" Booth ladies! - Steve Whitlock - 10-11-2019 12:12 PM