Booth's mistress, Ella Starr, and other "unknown" Booth ladies!
05-08-2018, 05:59 AM
RE: Booth's mistress, Ella Starr, and other "unknown" Booth ladies!
The text of the Etta letter is in Eisenschiml's Why Was Lincoln Murdered? The author writes, "No one has ever found out who Etta was. For Stanton's detective force it should have been an easy task; but it was never undertaken."

Eisenschiml lists the War Department Archives as his source for the letter. In introducing the letter, Eisenschiml writes, "In a letter written to a girl in New York on April 12, he must have given vent to his feelings, to judge by her reply, which is still in the archives of the judge advocate general's office in Washington. To this young lady Booth could unburden himself freely, and her response, in spite of its demi-monde flavor, mirrors the depressed sentiments of the actor."

In Eisenschiml's text of the letter, some words are in italics; I assume these are the words underlined in the original letter that is in the archives. The words in italics are:

(second paragraph)

you (third 'you' in paragraph)
remember
my (second 'my' in paragraph)
vengeance

(third paragraph)

should
are
you (last word in paragraph)

In the closing of the letter, the word 'yours' is in italics both times it's used.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: Booth's mistress, Ella Starr, and other "unknown" Booth ladies! - RJNorton - 05-08-2018 05:59 AM