Booth's mistress, Ella Starr, and other "unknown" Booth ladies!
05-07-2018, 11:47 PM
RE: Booth's mistress, Ella Starr, and other "unknown" Booth ladies!
Quote: The "anything that please you" letter is on pp. 622-23 of "The Evidence"

Enclosures to Gurley's letter [sent to Stanton from W. H. F. Gurley, reporting the contents of the theatrical trunks Booth had had shipped]
Friday evening
6 pm

Wilkes,

I know imperative business kept you away today. Would you please try & come down tomorrow as soon after two as possible. You can dine privately with me. I do not mind your drive. I trust you are feeling better today. Be very good until I see you. Bring my ring tomorrow. Anything that please you will be acceptable. God bless you my precious friend & believe me, devotedly your friend

N

One smack little kiss

PS Mollie S. was here. Pretty also bring with my ring ____ if you cannot come please send me word.

Abel suggests that the note was sent in 1865, but Gurley's report of it being found in Booth's theatrical trunks, shipped in the fall of 1864, would preclude that.

Bless you, Susan!! The last line is rather reminiscent of Ella’s “my darling boy” letter so it could actually be her. Not to mention the reference to a “Mollie S.”

Still trying to find this in the online archives. A handwriting comparison would be very interesting indeed!
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: Booth's mistress, Ella Starr, and other "unknown" Booth ladies! - Jenny - 05-07-2018 11:47 PM