Booth's mistress, Ella Starr, and other "unknown" Booth ladies!
05-07-2018, 07:36 PM
RE: Booth's mistress, Ella Starr, and other "unknown" Booth ladies!
New York
April 13

Dear Wilkes,

I received your letter of the 12th (stating you would be in this city on the 16th inst.) this morning and hasten to answer it. On account of a misunderstanding between my landlady and your humble servant, I have been obliged to leave her hospitable mansion and am now (for the time being) stopping at the New York Hotel, after your arrival should you not approve of my present location, it can easily be changed to suit your convenience.

Yes Dear, I can heartily sympathize with you, for I too, have had the blues ever since the fall of Richmond and like you, feel like doing something desperate. I have not yet had a favorable opportunity to do what you wished, and I so solemnly promised and what in my own heart, I feel ought to be done. I remember what happiness is in store for us if we succeed in our present undertakings, therefore do not doubt my courage, have faith, for even as you put your faith in me, so will I in you and Wllkes have said vengenance is mine.

My removal has consumed the means you gave me when we parted. Take this as a gentle hint to bring a good supply. "For money makes the mare go" now a days. I do as you desired and keep secluded as a nun, which is not agreeable to be as you have found but ere this, but anything to oblige you darling. If anything should happen (as I trust there will not) to prevent your coming to the City, please let me know and I will join you (as agreed upon) at the house of our mutual friend A___s. "Don't let anything discourage you".

Believe me yours and yours only

Etta

PS Annie who is acting the maid to perfection, wishes to be remembered to her dear. Ahem!!! Sam

Au revoir

Etta
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: Booth's mistress, Ella Starr, and other "unknown" Booth ladies! - Susan Higginbotham - 05-07-2018 07:36 PM